Walking In Antrim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Peter Simpson 20 Dec 2023

Hello All, I have this great idea for my retirement - to list, eulogise upon and climb all the finest hills in Britain and Ireland. I have even bought a camper van to demonstrate that I mean business!

I am beginning to work on a list and haven't got a clue how many hills I will end up with (roughly 500 would be ideal but who knows?), nor what criteria I will decide on for inclusion, but it will be great fun doing this and I plan to write a blog as I go along. I have been walking for about fifty years so am well travelled, although obviously don't know everywhere. I am hoping to share ideas with everyone here and discuss possibilities as I go along. That way it can be a team effort and even though I will be climbing most of the hills alone, it won't feel that way - if that make sense!

So here's one area for starters: Antrim. I have driven the coast and glens many times but never walked there properly. Does anyone have any recommendations of good hills? I have read what reports I can find and few people have sung many praises. There are some shapely forms from memory although I know much is boggy moorland. Boggy moorland probably isn't a high accolade for a finest hills list, but it would be good to have most upland areas represented, where worthy candidates exist.

Many thanks!

auld al 21 Dec 2023
In reply to Peter Simpson:

Lots of boggy moorland but I can recommend a couple of short out and backs from the "linford carpark and viewpoint" - Google maps. South over Knockdhu hill where you can see an iron age promontory fort (time team have a full episode - Knockdhu) and on along the sallagh braes returning the same way, then north over Scawt hill and black hill following a geology trail - drier this direction. Great views to Scotland. All part of the Ulster Way

OP Peter Simpson 22 Dec 2023
In reply to auld al:

Thank you! The Sallagh Braes was one I had noticed and I will look further into your other recommendations.

Post edited at 17:27
 auld al 23 Dec 2023
OP Peter Simpson 24 Dec 2023
In reply to auld al:

Many thanks for your suggestion, it certainly has the hallmarks of a worthy ascent. I will put it on my list of potential hills.

Post edited at 19:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...