Ullscarf (Borrowdale) info needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rip van Winkle 15 Jun 2021

Does anyone know the area well enough to say whether it's reasonable to take a roughly direct line - avoiding any small crags obviously - between the summit of Ullscarf and Dock Tarn above Stonethwaite in Borrowdale? Or is that whole flank covered in thick heather, bracken and stuff? Thx for any insights

Kalna_kaza 15 Jun 2021
In reply to Rip van Winkle:

Most of the vegetation is focused around Dock Tarn although there is a number of paths and sheep tracks amongst the boggy heather. The going underfoot higher up is fine if not a little monotonous.

In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Thanks! I know how heathery it is around Dock Tarn which is why I was interested about higher up, but from what you say it sounds ok. From the map I'd expect monotony and I can cope with that! I'm just trying to work out how to link a few summits in that area and Ullscarf -> Dock Tarn will be a useful option.

andygaines 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Rip van Winkle:

I did exactly that last September - it's pretty heathery low down and gives way to bog/grass higher up. Steady going if a bit of a drag! 

I had to deal with lots of ticks there though.  So keep an eye out/take precautions - though I realise that applies to most of that part of the world these days.

In reply to andygaines:

Good point - thanks for the reminder.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...