Taagan campsite Slioch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 13 Oct 2022

Hi.

Scant info on this via Google.

Anyone use it?

Is it open all year, free, toilet block and so on!

Any info gratefully received

Ta

Robert Durran 13 Oct 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Used it three weeks ago. Open all year I think. Says no vans, but was empty so slept in small van no problem. Hard area for cars plus nice grassy bit for tents. Toilets with cold water and outside washing up sink. Donation box - we put in £5 each per night. Much nicer than the one by the YH in Torridon. Midge hell in summer but great spot otherwise! 

ScraggyGoat 13 Oct 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Has suffered in recent years from NC500.

Provided by SNH for many decades as an alternative to roadside camping in the NNR for walkers and climbers.

Used to be free and open all year with basic toilets. Now requests donation and sign says closed for the winter.
No motorhomes or camper vans allowed.

It has had a huge problem of people emptying toilet cassettes down the loos blocking them in recent years. Also people driving on the grass. It only has parking for half a dozen cars at most and was never provided as a general motor tourist facility. Also muppets have been having fires burning holes in the grass

I’ve stayed in winter; now variable if loos open. Visitor centre loos may be open a bit back towards Kinlochewe, but also have now started to be locked over night due to camper van abuse  Kinlochewe loos should be open.

Suspect it’s days are numbered.

Post edited at 14:29
OP Flinticus 13 Oct 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I curse the muppets behind the whole NC500 idea.

May they rot in a midge infested dank glen for eternity

ScraggyGoat 13 Oct 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Your too kind, may the midge infested glen also be swarming with Lyme carrying ticks !

Having used it for decades free,  I now find when reaching into my pocket for a donation that my inner compass insists that I put a tenner in the the donation box.

Robert Durran 13 Oct 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> Having used it for decades free,  I now find when reaching into my pocket for a donation that my inner compass insists that I put a tenner in the the donation box.

So was I being stingy with a fiver?! 

ScraggyGoat 13 Oct 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

Don’t think so, I understand the aim of the site was / is to give dirt bag climbers and walkers somewhere to go rather than drain them of cash. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...