Summer glacier haute route between Chamonix and Zermatt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ShawnD 17 Nov 2023

Hi,

I am looking at completing this next year.  Has anyone completed this route recently and can advise on conditions of glaciers?  Is early September too late to complete?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Pero 17 Nov 2023
In reply to ShawnD:

There's no way to tell what conditions will be like next September. Next year may be a hot year, so September may be too late for the full Haute Route. 

Glacier conditions generally change from year to year, and significantly during each summer.

David Maddison 17 Nov 2023
In reply to ShawnD:

This wasn't that recent as was in 2018 but would definitely recommend doing it as early as possible following the huts reopening towards the end of June as this is when the conditions will be best. I suspect by September it will be compatibley unsafe.

My main bit of advice is if you are doing it without a guide, don't trust the information in some of the guidebooks and check in with the hut guardians incase anything has changed. In particular following the decent from Dent de Bertol, a landslide occured prior to our trip which meant that path along the moraine was very unsafe so it was actually better and quicker to descend on the glacier until nearly at Schönbielhütte.

Bottom Clinger 17 Nov 2023
In reply to ShawnD:

Judging by recent threads, Chamonix could be mobbed early September. Winter Hill might be quiet though. 

MG 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ShawnD:

All points above good. On the other hand, it may be getting colder again by September with better overnight freezes, and the huts will be much quieter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...