Snowdonia slate trail.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Belle74 21 Aug 2020

I started planning to walk and camp the Snowdonia slate trail over 6 or 7 days using campsites as well as a bit of wild camping. Why are some of the campsites that are pretty much on the trail doing camping for two nights only? I've never had this issue on any Wainwright or Highland walks.

Nempnett Thrubwell 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Belle74:

Pure economics - they want to fill their sites every night and don't want to lose a whole weekend booking because someone has just booked the Friday - but that's all around big tents.

Phone them up and explain the situation that you're walking through, only have a small one person tent and won't take up space.

Jenny C 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Belle74:

I have no idea on the logistics with social distancing, but in the past I know a few campsites which said they would never turn away a backpacker arriving on foot for just one night's stay. Kind of fair as when on foot you can't just drive to a hotel and generally backpacking tents are tiny. 

Sl@te Head 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Belle74:

You could always pay for 2 nights and just stay for one, or just wild camp if money's an issue. 

OP Belle74 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Nempnett Thrubwell:

This is a very valid point, one that one particular campsite could have mentioned themselves.

I was very specific to my intentions of just passing through on foot whilst walking and camping the new slate trail in the email I'd sent them. Unfortunately, the reply I got was rather blunt and unaccommodating.

Also, the fact that this new route deviates a little to cross the front door of this campsite you would think they'd be a little more willing to offer a single night for lets say, a slightly increased price. Something I would have happily agreed upon.

Needless to say, I've cut short this leg of my route to stay in a more accommodating campsite that is also on the trail.

Who knows how popular this new walk will become in the future and how much they'll loose out to neighbouring campsites? 

Post edited at 13:12
OP Belle74 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I have paid for 2 nights at some sites however I just think it's a bit wrong for them to charge you like this when there's a new and interesting route that may attract a lot of interest passing their gates.

In reply to Belle74:

I’ve previously come across sites that say that they have too many problems with single night stays - people being drunk and rowdy knowing they don’t have to worry about being asked to leave in the morning. 

But I think more commonly it’s the economics that a single night can mean that they can’t then take a full week or weekend booking from someone else. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...