Snow cover central highlands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

How much snow is left on the central highlands hills, Ben Alder area? Planning on climbing Geal-Charn/Aonach Beag/Beinn Eibheinn, are there still substantial snow patches where crampons might be worthwhile having? Or is the snow all gone? Will take an axe in case but if we can spare the weight of the crampons that would be a bonus…

rif 05 May 2022
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Others may have more up-to-date info, but I'd be very surprised if crampons were needed, especially if you're planning a day trip and therefore wouldn't be on any snow until midday. As of a week ago there was plenty snow to be seen in the east-facing corries, but little or none on the Long Leachas and Lancet Edge (as far as I could make out from the A9).

If you were wanting to go up Geal Charn from the east (i.e. from the bealach between Carn Dearg and Geal Charn) there will almost certainly still be steep (up to 45 deg) snow for 100m or so, making an axe essential with the possibility of a short spell of step cutting -- I had to do that one late April when up there in approach shoes. The ridge westwards from Geal Charn will still have cornices on the north side but I'd be surprised if there were any dificulties along the ridge.

In reply to rif:

Thanks Rif- that’s really helpful. Will leave the crampons behind. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...