Sharing old Viewranger Tiles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Snertius 25 Jun 2023

Hi all,

Bit of a wild goose chase perhaps but as a long time user of the Viewranger app, sadly now no longer being developed, I have almost the full set of UK 1:50k and Scotland 1:25k as well as all the Harvey's on my phone. I also backed them up to my PC which got me thinking...

There must be a way to 'share' tiles from another user(s) which would complete my set and therefore theirs?

Anyone still got their Viewranger tiles and willing to try it out?

Cheers

Snert

Post edited at 13:04
In reply to Snertius:

Bump.

I've got viewranger installed on two different phones and different tiles downloaded on each. I won't get a chance to play with it for a few weeks at least but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has.

Root1 26 Jun 2023
In reply to Snertius:

All my tiles were transferred over to Outdoor Active so I can still us them on my computer. Outdoor Active is utterly pants, so I use TOPO GPS instead on my phone (after buying the maps again). Topo Gps is nearly as good as Viewranger with some aspects of it better than Viewranger.

Flinticus 28 Jun 2023
In reply to Root1:

Tried TOPO. Not sold on it.

elliot.baker 28 Jun 2023
In reply to Snertius:

how have you all got it running on your phones still? All in airplane mode for the last 2 years or something?

I used to love VR. What a loss to the world, how cynical of OA. And how **** is OA as well.

jonny taylor 28 Jun 2023
In reply to elliot.baker:

Viewranger never died for me, just tells me it's obsolete every time I open it up. To my surprise it even let me re-download my map tiles when I migrated to a new phone a month ago.

Siward 28 Jun 2023
In reply to jonny taylor:

It died for me!

Is it strange, or by design, that on outdoor active I can view the whole country down to 1:25000 os maps despite having purchased only a few tiles on viewranger?

J72 28 Jun 2023
In reply to Siward:

I think it allows that online but if you want it to work offline (ie. Download a section) you need a subscription? 

Flinticus 29 Jun 2023

No. I just turned off updates for the VR app.

Siward 29 Jun 2023
In reply to J72:

That seems to be the case having experimented.

However I can screenshot the page/pages at will thus providing offline access. I don't need any of the bells and whistles.

J72 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Siward:

I wish I’d thought of that before purchasing a subscription! 

Mark Storey 04 Jul 2023

Give OA another try. I was one of the pissed off when VR sold out to OA, but I'm a convert now. Primarily because I have the whole of the UK and France for free as I purchased 'tiles' for both from VR. This is part of the legacy agreement for VR users who made a purchase.

Just don't use a PC or laptop to plot a route as OA works better on a phone. The 'snap' function works mostly on UK footpaths and the voice guidance is reasonable if you're on a bike - especially useful for MTB.

OP Snertius 10 Jul 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Let me know how you get on please. I'm still chasing geese, no takers.

In reply to Snertius:

I tried copying tiles across from one device to another - no dice, it says it needs to download licences from the server, which seems to not exist any more. Going any further would take some hacking that I don't have the time and skills for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...