Scafell Pike, Great End and Great Gable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DomBPT1 14 Aug 2018

Just wondering if anybody could shed any light on a 3 peak challenge a couple of us are looking to do. We’re hoping to head up to the summit of Great End, and then head on to the summit of Scafell Pike. Camp at either Styhead or Sprinkling tarn on the evening, and then climb Great Gable on the second day. Has anyone done anything similar ? How long will great End and Scafell Pike and back to Styhead Tarn take in a day ? anything I need to know etc ? Any useful advice is much appreciated. Cheers in advance. 

Dark-Cloud 14 Aug 2018
In reply to DomBPT1:

Where is your start point ?

petegunn 14 Aug 2018
In reply to DomBPT1:

If walking up from Seathwaite it is probably quicker to leave the tents at Styhead Tarn (~2miles) rather than Sprinkling Tarn (~2.5 miles), although its much nicer and away from the main paths at the latter. 1/1.5hours

It would be a round trip of between 5/6 miles to the summit of both Greatend and Scafell from either camping spots so only a few hours to back to the tents.

Gable on the following day will be quick up and down but you could carry the tents and leave them at windy gap then tick off Green Gable and descend into Gillercombe and Sourmilk ghyll back to Seathwaite

DomBPT1 14 Aug 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud: Seathwaite. I think there are camping sites there but we were looking to wild camp just to make things a bit more interesting. 

DomBPT1 14 Aug 2018
In reply to petegunn: Thanks for the advice, would seem silly not to tick off green gable while we are there. Also does the 5/6 hour round trip that you mentioned include the peaks of ill crag and broad crag or do they take you slightly out the way ? I know they’re sort of in that area between Great End and Scafell Pike. Cheers again 

Mike-W-99 14 Aug 2018
In reply to DomBPT1:

Did a variation on this last year but from Honister Pass. Good round although its a bit of a slog up the road back to Honister from Seatoller.

willpitt07 14 Aug 2018
In reply to DomBPT1:

There is a campsite in Seathwaite.

We went from Wasdale Head to Scafell Pike, Great End, Great Gable and then cut down Base brown to Seathwaite campsite; but I would only recommend if you are looking for quite a long day. Wild camping would shorten your day if you dont't go down to the Seathwaite campsite.

Jon Stewart 14 Aug 2018
In reply to DomBPT1:

A logical way to do this would be to take your tents up to Styhead Tarn, drop them there and then head to Sprinkling Tarn, Great End and Scafell Pike (diverting off to Ill and Broad Crags along the way if you are so inclined...but you're adding a few hundred yards boulder-clambering for not a right lot of reward tbh). Return to your tents via the Corridor Route. This is roughly an afternoon's worth of walking, not a big trek. 

If you like a scramble, much the best way up Gable is via the Climber's Traverse, which I'd say is the best Grade 1 scramble in the Lakes - it's scenically magnificent and jolly exciting. If you're doing that, leave your stuff at Styhead, do that in the morning, back to camp, and you'll be back in the valley for lunch.

The general vibe here is that what you propose is not ambitious - so long as no one's got 2 broken legs, you'll have a lot of time to spare.

CEW 15 Aug 2018
In reply to DomBPT1:

Seathwaite to Great End to Scafell down Corridor Route to Styhead and up over Great Gable and Green Gable and down was maybe about 7 hours? You'll be able to add Ill and Broad crags without adding any time.

If its summer or a weekend you wont have the tarns to yourself for camping.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...