RIP Richard Gilbert

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iain Thow 28 Feb 2018

Mountaineering Scotland have just sent out an obituary for Richard Gilbert, who died on 16th Jan this year (aged 80). Many people on here must have been inspired by his and Ken Wilson's superb Big Walks/Classic Walks/Wild Walks books, and his guide to the NW Highlands and "Lonely Hills and Wilderness Trails" are great too. Lovely bloke and always hugely enthusiastic about the hills. 

sg 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

RIP indeed. A true enthusiast.

I think Big Walks is, in its own way, probably the most inspirational of the whole series. Of course he wrote and edited many other books, including others in the series, but the Big Walks is a really special and coherent collection and a fabulous book. And every bit as challenging to complete as most of the others (collapsed rock routes notwithstanding)!

coldfell 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

Ah sad news, he certainly inspired me along with Hamish Brown and Martin Moran.

RIP

Dorine

Chris Harris 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

https://www.mountaineering.scot/news/obituary-richard-gilbert

A life well lived, and fondly remembered. RIP Richard.

Removed User 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

RIP. He was omnipresent during the period I first became interested in the hills, and he wrote about so well, definitely an early inspiration for me. Sad news but a life lived exceptionally well.

ste_d 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

RIP indeed - inspirational

Removed User 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

A hugely inspirational writer whose books had a notable impact on my hillwalking. The Mullardoch round I did with pal one Feb decades ago was straight out of one of his books. 

Condolences to his family.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...