Quiet walks in the Brecon Beacons for the family

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 23 Aug 2020

Just made a last minute booking for a quick family getaway and wondering if anyone could advise somewhere family friendly that won't be inundated with walkers (if that is even possible with current stay-cations). 

The only times I've been to the Brecon Beacons has been to beast myself training for bigger mountains so just Pen y Fan and surrounds. 

Thanks,

Derry

JIMBO 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Derry:

My kids liked to walk out and find the plane wrecks... Google them... some have quite a bit of wreckage left...

Donotello 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Derry:

Any of the walks other than Self-Y-Fan should be fine especially on a week day. Avoid that entire road and parking area and hill and you’ll see 1-3 pairs of walkers on an average walk. 

Last 2 time’s I went to BB I parked in a lay-by to the north of fan-y-big and walked up and then anti clockwise across cribbyn and back to the car and rarely see anyone else. 

In reply to Derry:

Take them along Cat’s Back Ridge (Black Hill), above the Olchon Valley.  A lovely and generally quite day out, keep an eye out for the Witches Tree.

Welsh Kate 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Derry:

I'd walk round Craig Cerrig Gleisiad from the A470 a couple of kms north of Storey Arms.

Chartists Cave from either Trefil or the Llangynidr road (it can be fun finding the actual cave as well!)

There's a big parking area at Penwyllt by the cavers' terrace and you can walk into the nature reserve from there - limestone pavements, plus a section of the Beacons Way.

GCO 23 Aug 2020

this is my local walk. Very narrow lanes to get to the car park, but a very pleasant circular walk.

https://www.countryfile.com/go-outdoors/walks/walk-llyn-y-fan-fach-camarthe...

Southvillain 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Derry:

I like the Black Mountains horse-shoe. I start in Llanbedr (1m NW of Crickhowell). Go up to `Table Mountain' hillfort, then wiggle northwards up along the ridgeline through Pen Cerrig-calch and Pen Allt-mawr all the way up to Waun Fach, then back down S/SE to Pen Gadair Fawr and follow that ridgeline back to Llanbedr. You can shorten it by cutting back at the shoulder between Mynydd Llysiau and Pen Trumau `on the way up'. 

Alternatively, a bit west of the Beacons, is the Black Mountain. Start at Glyntawe and head N/NW up the prow in front of you. And either go up/down the way you came, or go up, and follow the `edge' right round and come down by the two little lakes (Llyn y Fan Fach and Llyn y Fan Fawr) and then back down the side of the hill. 

OP Derry 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Southvillain:

Brilliant. Thanks everyone, that's loads to look in to. Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...