OS Maps Online - Printing Problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

There seems to be new bug in the print function of the OS Maps app and website. When I print something the generated pdf (and subsequent printed map) always show my route using a thin blue line rather than whatever I set in preferences. The route is shown correctly on-screen before pressing print (I choose a wide 50% transparent line). It’s not the end of the world but it’s not ideal. I’ve reported it to OS, for whatever difference that will make. Anyone else noticed this? Anyone figured out a workaround?

angry pirate 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Yes, I've had the same issue.

Low tech solution was to go over it with a highlighter.

Glyno 01 Jul 2023

Yes, I noticed the same when I printed a route last week but just assumed I’d set it that way. I’ll be following this thread.

In reply to Glyno:

I hadn’t heard back from my original report to OS, so I tried again via their chat and I have sent them a couple of screenshots.

In reply to angry pirate:

I'm not encouraged by the contact I've been having with OS's customer support. They say they can't reproduce the problem, although I'm not convinced they've tried very hard. It might help if other people also report the bug - I used their chat function.

One thing I've noticed is that this only seems to happen for private routes which I've created myself - other people's publicly viewable routes are fine.

I'll get some highlighters.

Justaname 07 Jul 2023

I think the general consensus is to move to Memory Map, but I've never got round to it.

I got in touch with their Customer Service to complain that you can't find locations, such as 'Priest's Hole' on their maps, and they said something like you can't find place names as they're written on the map / text, whereas it will find location / address data as that's held in the database. Also being able to create proper waymarkers and annotate the maps with notes is a no-no, unless you use a pen or marker after the event, and the ability to create segments of routes, and then link them together to make one big route. 

Justaname 07 Jul 2023
In reply to Justaname:

Actually I've just tested this and if you search for 'Priest's Hole' it returns 'Priest's Tarn', which isn't an address, but an actual place (maybe it does have some location data somewhere).

Doghouse 07 Jul 2023

Had the same issue this morning and was advised to change browser to Chrome and re-boot which tbh, I can't be a*rsed to do.

Sent a screen shot with route highlighted and the resulting PDF without the route highlighted to them.  Was asked if changing the Chrome didn't work to send screen shots etc which I thought I'd already done!

In reply to Justaname:

I got so fed up with OS online a while ago that I tried Memory Map and decided that OS was just about the lesser of two evils. Can’t remember what I disliked about Memory Map now. Anquet used to be brilliant about 20 years ago but it seems to have become less intuitive with every iteration. 

In reply to Justaname:

> complain that you can't find locations, such as 'Priest's Hole' on their maps, and they said something like you can't find place names as they're written on the map / text, 

That's why the OS have a gazeteer, published as part of OpenData, that has grid refs for all place names. Obviously, their mickey mouse mapping system hasn't incorporated their own data into a search facility.

They really are hopeless...

I didn't get any further response from OS but having just tried printing again it looks like this is now fixed.

Nope, my mistake. Still broken. 

ankyo 10 Aug 2023

Yes I'm having exactly the same problem

In reply to ankyo:

OS are telling me they can’t recreate the problem and will wait and see if more people report it. They did give me a workaround: change the route style to something else (everything: colour, transparency and thickness), save it, change it back to what you want, save it again, then print. That seemed to work for me.

If you report it to them you’ll have to persist, as their opening gambit will be “sorry you are having a problem” followed by a copy-pasted explanation of how to print. 

They can't recreate it, but they've given you a 'workaround'...?

More like "here's some random action that seems to spring our dubious code into doing something"...

Glyno 10 Aug 2023

I've also been in touch with OS regarding this issue. They've asked me to send screenshots etc which I have done. They've also said all is fine their end and could I send a gpx file of a route - I did and they replied saying they couldn't open it!

I'm not giving up, and have mentioned I'm not alone in having this problem which they 'sort of' admitted. I emailed yesterday and have been assured of a response soon.

I really do think it's a case of if enough people get on their case, they're more likely to do something about it.

In reply to Glyno:

> I really do think it's a case of if enough people get on their case, they're more likely to do something about it.

I’ve given them step by step instructions of how to recreate the problem and I’ve even pointed out where the error is in the GPX files. Maybe I should just go and fix their code for them. 

Glyno 15 Aug 2023

Latest reply from OS:

Hi Glyn, 

Thank you for your patience while the issue with your printing issue was investigated. 

This issue has become known to us here at OS and is currently being worked on to resolved. 

However, there is no date or timeframe in place at present at to when this will be resolved. 

I advise keeping an eye out for any updates/ changes to this option.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

In reply to Glyno:

Cheers. They were in touch with me today too. I think they have finally managed to reproduce the problem, but taking them through it was like pulling teeth. 

> but taking them through it was like pulling teeth. 

That has been my experience reporting obvious bugs to them; denial and delay, and no great desire to take onboard feedback or fix bugs. Still apparently very mired in a "we're a government department, so you get what you're given and should be thankful for it" attitude.

Luke90 16 Aug 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Still apparently very mired in a "we're a government department, so you get what you're given and should be thankful for it" attitude

As if a boatload of private companies don't display exactly the same attitude. Certainly not defending the attitude itself but it's common enough in all sectors that it frustrates me to see it attributed specifically to the government link.

turnerca42 18 Aug 2023

Hi all,

I'm getting the same problem, I initially thought it was something that I had done on my laptop when doing some housekeeping, and tried reinstalling Adobe etc, but problem still exists.  Highlighters it is - a real pain.  Its a fairly new update of OS Maps because I was printing OK about 6 weeks ago.  I'll log the problem with them as well, maybe they will get on and fix it.

Chris

> There seems to be new bug in the print function of the OS Maps app and website. When I print something the generated pdf (and subsequent printed map) always show my route using a thin blue line rather than whatever I set in preferences. The route is shown correctly on-screen before pressing print (I choose a wide 50% transparent line). It’s not the end of the world but it’s not ideal. I’ve reported it to OS, for whatever difference that will make. Anyone else noticed this? Anyone figured out a workaround?

turnerca42 18 Aug 2023

Hi all,

There is quite a simple workaround, and it does work:

To change the line thickness for a specific route, you select route in question and select 'Edit'; select 'Style' and then alter the thickness and line transparency.

Its not Edit - its Modify, and Style is on the ribbon toolbar, just below print.  It does work.

In reply to turnerca42:

Thanks. There’s a similar workaround provided by OS further up the thread. I think the problem occurs when routes are first created. Once they have their style modified a couple of times they behave themselves  

I’ve had another email from OS today which didn’t really get me anywhere so I’ve given up with them. Still, this isn’t the worst support experience I’ve had - that would be Garmin UK. 

OLD GIT S 24 Aug 2023

I first tried to resolve this problem  with OS in June 2022 and sent them screenshots of the problem so they have been aware of this for something over a year now, and at the time of my initial discussions with them they couldn't recreate, or didn't seem to understand the problem I was having, and after some to-ing and fro-ing they closed the conversation unresolved.

I agree with others that the easiest work-around is to use a highlighter, but they should sort this issue!!

However another work-around is to set your line colour, thickness and opacity, and save the route. Then when you have selected the print area and scale etc., in the print process take a screenshot. Then Crop the screen print to include the area you need, and copy and paste it into a Word Document and print it. During this part of the exercise you can add the route name and distance if required in a transparent Text Box.

Then if you want to print the route details and way points etc., go through the normal print process in OS Maps, but omit page 1 from the pages to be printed.

It used to work ok on the previous version of OS maps, which I had been using since 2016.

Post edited at 21:21
 mikelee 11 Sep 2023

I have the same problem. It appeared the first time I tried to print for several weeks. And after several (largely unwanted) new features appeared in OSMaps. I've reported it.

MG 11 Sep 2023

Obviously irritating when software doesn't do what it should but...

I'm curious, do people typically draw routes on maps before going somewhere?  Don't you just sort roughly plan and walk off?

mikelee 11 Sep 2023
In reply to turnerca42:

Thanks for this and to everyone else. I've just tried the work-around modifying the style and then putting it back to the original. This works and solves the problem on my system.

> Hi all,

> There is quite a simple workaround, and it does work:

> To change the line thickness for a specific route, you select route in question and select 'Edit'; select 'Style' and then alter the thickness and line transparency.

> Its not Edit - its Modify, and Style is on the ribbon toolbar, just below print.  It does work.

In reply to MG:

> I'm curious, do people typically draw routes on maps before going somewhere? 

Lots of people do, yes; they enjoy planning a route, and knowing how far it is, etc. 

Then there are DofE groups, who also use the OS mapping tool, and have these issues, too...

Tim Hudds 16 Oct 2023

I have had the same problem intermittently since the new version of OS Maps was released. The workaround of resaving my map then closing O/S maps and reopening it, seemed to cllear it.

Now even the workaround has stopped working (and several variatons on changing the style).

I generally prefer to plot out my route in detail, then both print it and put on GPS or phone. 

My GPS only has a 1:50k version of OS maps so the printed version is better for the detail, although I do now rely more on the phone.

I also have Komoot and fid it useful for outside of GB. Unfortunately Open Street Maps (which seems to the base for many mapping systems other than O/S) does not have the detail of O/S 1:25k.

Tresy48 26 Oct 2023
In reply to Tim Hudds:

I have had this problem since they brought in the new OS Web Maps.  I have taken numerous screen shots showing what exactly is the problem and as others have said got the "its working ok here".

I tried 3 different browsers and all gave the same result. My route shows up nice and bold until I select Generate PDF and then it changes to an imperceptible line.  I too have noticed that existing posted routes do actually print out in the chosen colour but not with a thick line as shown on the screen.

I sent a further update with offending screen shots a couple of months ago and have yet to get a response.

I am glad I came across this thread as I was tearing my hair out and thinking that it must just be related to my personal account. I have tried the workaround suggested by @ turnerca42 and it seems to work though the route line thickness is still not fully thick.

Tresy48 26 Oct 2023
In reply to Tresy48:

Just an incidental does anybody know why the OS planned route mileage differs to that recorded activity from the OS App.  A recent planned route was 7.03km from the route created on the web but the recoded activity for the exact same route as walked was 8.19km. Quite a difference on such a short route!

ankyo 09 Nov 2023

After a lot of back and forth with OS the work around that seems to do it for me is

1. Open the route you want to print

2 Click Modify Route

3 Click style. 

4. alter the settings to something you dont want, e.g green, thin line

5 alter the settings back to something you do want e.g red, thick line

6. print. 

That's the only way I can get it to work 

Doghouse 09 Nov 2023
In reply to ankyo:

Same here - pretty rubbish to be fair.

At the risk of a thread hijack but I thought people might be interested if they don't already know but the whole of the US is available showing USGS topo maps on the OS app. I only found this by accident when I searched for somewhere, mistyped and it took me to a US location

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...