NW Highlands(Fannichs ) conditions foday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A classic late Autumn/early winter day on Sgurr Mor and Sgurr nan Clach Geala. Freezing to road level, bogs frost firm and snow above 800 metres. Snow cover is not deep but pleasantly firm with turf freezing up as well. Coming over Meall a Chrasgaidh Sgurr Mor was a beautiful big white dome in the sunshine. Very little wind. Continuous snow cover for top 300 metres of Sgurr Mor and same on north east ridge of Sgurr nan Clach Geala. Low lying mist over Loch Fannich and in  glens east and south.  Less snow on An Teallach No snow on tops north of the Beinn Dearg group.  Sadly weather breaks down again tomorrow but looking colder again later next week. I' ve been lucky so far this early winter with 4- 5 days out with snow on the tops

In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

It was looking nice and white on Sgurr Mor as I drove home this evening. By contrast it was warm dry rock on Goat Crag (until the sun got too low)

Mike-W-99 17 Nov 2023

Ah, we were there too (western 5 Fannichs circuit) 

Lovely day for it, A' Chailleach & Sgurr Breac almost snowless. Sgurr Mor & Sgurr nan Clach Geala had better coverage.

Less snow the further west you went, torridon looked very black.

Fiona Reid 17 Nov 2023

Was that you heading up Sgurr nan Clach Geala when two twits (us) were going down the deeper snow to the right of the ridge (when looking up)? Must have been a little after 2pm. Was well worth the 5:30am alarm clock.

Post edited at 19:28
In reply to Fiona Reid:

That was me, Fiona. I found a map case+ map on my way up .Was it yours? If so will get it back to you. 

In reply to Mike-W-99:

Hi Mike 

There's a little high cover in Torridon but as usual not nearly as much as in the Fannichs. I mentioned the map case I found to Fiona likewise if it was  yours let me know. Being a Gairloch resident it was a short drive for me albeit with the odd patch if black ice this morning. The hairpin bend at the bottom of the hill to Aultbea was a bit dodgy

Post edited at 20:38
 Mike-W-99 17 Nov 2023

Thanks but definitely not ours, I dropped my sunglasses coming off of Meall a' Chrisgaidh instead.

We returned to a very foggy Dingwall but it was very atmospheric above the dam at Loch Glascarnoch.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

No sign of any sunglasses Mike. Ah,Dingwall- home of my team the " Staggies"!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...