Moving to Wirksworth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lewis R 21 Nov 2018

Hi all

I am moving to Wirksworth in December and as I will be working from home, I would like to get out in the morning before work for a nice walk, preferably for around an hour and also with some decent incline.

Looking for some advice of places in the local area. I know of Black Rocks but looking for other suggestions. TIA.

In reply to Lewis R:

> Hi all

> I am moving to Wirksworth in December and as I will be working from home, I would like to get out in the morning before work for a nice walk, preferably for around an hour and also with some decent incline.

> Looking for some advice of places in the local area. I know of Black Rocks but looking for other suggestions. TIA.

I always like walking around middle peak quarry ,  It can be accessed very easily and its a pleasant circuit on sunny days.

The area around the star disk is pleasant although not so long a walk and you can access the quarry from there also.

See the attached map

https://goo.gl/maps/w2xLyAMX4Au

Pedro50 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Lewis R:

From memory: Take the footpath up to Bolehill (past the school and scout hut). At the top road turn left and then soon right up a steep narrow footpath to the radio masts. Continue down to Black Rocks, turn left onto the High Peak trial. Up the incline to the top and then then left (can't quite remember the exact spot, probably a footpath sign) through the fields to the quarries mentioned above. Descend down Greenhill back to town. 

Two good ascents. 

Phil1919 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Lewis R:

I'd just get a map and work it out for yourself. Better fun.

Neil Williams 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

Not sure why that got a thumbs down - personally I quite enjoy coming up with running routes on an OS map.  But each to their own.

ceri 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Lewis R:

Ok, this is a fell race, but it's certainly got a good bit of official incline and a map for you
https://wirksworthrunningclub.org.uk/racing/incline-race/
If you run at all, the running club is a great place to make new friends and find new routes.

OP Lewis R 23 Nov 2018

Thank you all for the info! I was actually looking at a map and trying to find a route last night!

Andy Gamisou 23 Nov 2018
In reply to Lewis R:

I used to enjoy running (well, jogging (well, shuffling)) around Carsington reservoir.

In reply to Lewis R:

Pedro50's route is a good one. You can also descend through the National Stone Centre which is a great place to walk in the winter (sheltered and a sun-trap) and it also has a nice cafe. The public footpath across Middleton Moor is great too but can be bitterly cold in winter.

If you fancy any climbing, my club meets at Wirksworth wall on Wednesday evenings (outside at crags in summer) with Sunday and midweek daytime climbs too. Send me a pm if interested.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...