Monahadlliath Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 19 May 2023

Evening, 

Does anyone know whether that if you camped at the head of the valley, east of Carn Sgulain and A Chailleach, is the Bruthach an Easain passable to follow the Allt Cuil na Cailleach to give access to these Munro’s?

Thanks

Dave

Welsh Kate 19 May 2023
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Yes, though there is some pretty steep ground at the headwall of the valley so there may be some slidey-scrambling - look at it and see if you fancy it!. There's easier access between Am Bodach (east of Carn Sgulain) and 766m Geal Charn just to the S.E of Am Bodach where another - un-named - tributary of the Bruthach an Easain comes down. You can either walk up the Allt a Chaorainn from the parking at the end of the minor road outside of Newtonmore, or there's a track that goes out from Strone at the east end of Newtonmore (just past the Highlander) which'll take you up towards the easier access that I mentioned. The top end of the glen has some quite tussocky terrain

OP Dave the Rave 24 May 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks Kate

Sorry for the late reply.

I went with the Creag Meagaidh option this time and had a fantastic walk and high camp.

I will use your info at a future date👍

Cheers, Dave

In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks a lot Kate. 
I have saved that for a future trip as we went up Creag Meagaidh instead.

Dave👍

Welsh Kate 24 May 2023
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Just seen your Creag Meagaidh report, the whole round's been on my list for a while, but I quite like the idea of camping in the coire! Glad you had a good trip.

In reply to Welsh Kate:

Hi Kate

Yes. Strangely the message I replied to Dan and yourself disappeared from my browser, hence you have had two replies. I see the Meagaidh one to Dan is back now.

The camp was good in the coire, but space is at a premium. There was just enough room at the outlet of the Lochan for a quasar, There is a bench up above which may detract from the ambience if it was busy, but we were there late so it wasn’t a problem. More disconcerting was a pick axe rammed into the ground near the tent. ( I removed this and put it below the bank near the Lochan outlet if anyone is looking for it).

I walked the other three Munro’s about 15 years ago, and the window was banked in snow, which made quite easy progress. 

It was snow free this time and hard work on the upper section ascending and worse for tired legs descending.

The walk up from the window and across the summit plateau was a pleasure.

Personally, given good conditions, I would recommend that ascending Meagaidh first and then traversing the other Munro’s is a better option than ascending the window twice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...