Long distance running routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 waterfall 01 Oct 2023

Hello forum!

I am looking for a resource that I can use for long distance running routes, and in particular, the associated GPX file for said route, so I can add to my Garmin.  I only run trails or fells, so need to be these type of routes as opposed to road.

I am aware of the Long Distance Walking Association, where you can download the GPX file, however there is a yearly subscription fee:

https://ldwa.org.uk

Does anyone know of any useful other resources that exist?  I am mostly interested in GPX files for the North West of UK as this is where I live, but can travel at weekend.

Jack 01 Oct 2023
In reply to waterfall:

https://gofar997.wixsite.com/gofar

Don't know if they have gpx files, but loads of ideas.

OP waterfall 01 Oct 2023
In reply to Jack:

Jack this is amazing thanks mate.  Some real, real toughies on this.  Great for inspiration.

petegunn 01 Oct 2023
In reply to waterfall:

Not any particular websites but if you google for them lots come up. I've found GPX files for the 3 big fell rounds, Bob Graham, Paddy Buckley, Charlie Ramsey, plus some of these others:

Cumbrian Way

The Old County Tops race

Lakeland Trails 100km 

Hadrian's Wall path

Tranter Round

Alfred Wainwright's Coast to Coast

Post edited at 21:56
 nufkin 01 Oct 2023
In reply to waterfall:

At the risk of seeming obtuse and/or combative, why not use some OS maps to find places that look enticing, then use Strava, Komoot etc and just make your own GPX files for whatever takes your fancy? 

Lhod 01 Oct 2023
In reply to waterfall:

This might fit the bill?

https://fastestknowntime.com/routes

ablackett 02 Oct 2023
In reply to waterfall:

Strava is the best place to go. It’s not the easiest to search but if you dig around a bit you can normally find people who have run any route you can think of. I think you used to either have a premium subscription to download gpx’s or get a plug-in for Chrome but I think it’s free now.

elliot.baker 02 Oct 2023
In reply to waterfall:

As Nufkin said if you want to make your own routes (which I find helps with understanding / learning it) I find the best website to be the Walk Lakes maps. If you register there are some amazing features like duel screen maps with satellite imagery on one side and OS / Open street on the other screen (sync'd side by side). Really useful for making routes, or you can just upload a GPX to it to scan through the route using OS and Open street and satellite to make sure you know what's what for each section.

Though I do think it would take some commitment to plot out a 100km route! (though not as much to run it!) 

compost 02 Oct 2023
In reply to waterfall:

If you're already using Garmin, use Garmin Connect on desktop - you can zoom in on an area, see what courses are there, filter them for distance/ type/ ascent, edit the gpx and send to your watch. It's much more powerful than the mobile version.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...