Lakes Peaks for 3yr old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cheese Monkey 20 Aug 2022

Up in the Lakes with family right now, and my boy is dead keen on climbing a mountain like daddy. He can manage about 3 miles, I'd guess about 300m ascent, and no I'm not carrying him! Any mountain or mountain like suggestions appreciated. Anything with a rocky top is in. Red Screes looks like a potential option?

shantaram 20 Aug 2022
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Where in the Lake District are you based?

Here’s a few mini hill options in the north Lakes - Barrow, Catbells, Castle Crag

In the south lakes there’s Loughrigg, Gummers How, Holme Fell, Black Crag. 

East lakes Hallin Fell and Steel Knotts would fit the bill. 

In reply to shantaram:

Catbells using the ferries on Derwent Water is great fun with kids.

plyometrics 20 Aug 2022

Wansfell, maybe?

biggianthead 20 Aug 2022

Helm Crag.

My 3 year son did it on his 3rd birthday (in January)

Pedro50 20 Aug 2022
In reply to biggianthead:

> Helm Crag.

> My 3 year son did it on his 3rd birthday (in January)

Even Wainwright failed on that...

Jim Hamilton 20 Aug 2022

Knott Rigg from Newlands Hause (1.5 km, 223m)

biggianthead 20 Aug 2022

And of course Rannerdale Knotts (from Crummock)

OP Cheese Monkey 20 Aug 2022

Thanks all.

John Kelly 20 Aug 2022

Side pike Langdale

jonfun21 20 Aug 2022
In reply to Deleated bagger:

Seconded - round the lake ticket with a stop at the waterfalls on the way back is a perfect day out with a little one 

when they get a bit older lots of options open up, main thing is they enjoy their first experience - lots of stops/sweats/fun

Our 4 year old went up Skiddaw and Old Man of Coniston having done Catbells and Helm Crag when aged 3 

mike123 20 Aug 2022
In reply to Cheese Monkey: north lakes : sale fell and or ling fell . Both very doable with small  kids  . Both have tremendous views . Bit further : lords seat from whinlatter car park , push chair possible most of the way if they want to walk a bit ride a bit , then dump push chair just before the top . 

stuartf 20 Aug 2022

I asked the same question a few years ago and got some great suggestions. We have really enjoyed a few that have been mentioned already:  Hallin Fell (from the car the first time, and the steamer, which is further, the second), side pike (from the langdale campsite) and catbells. 

wercat 22 Aug 2022

don't overlook the attraction to youngsters of mountain tarns as an objective.  Alcock Tarn, Easedale Tarn near Grasmere are both very fitting outings at that age with water to play in!

Really depends on where you are but my shout would be Binsey.

I remember taking my small ones up Binsey when they were very young. It's a great little hill, with some of the best views on offer in the Lakes and beyond, due to its detachment from its larger siblings. It has a lovely grassy path, no dangerous drops, and it can claim to be the one and only place I have ever seen a red squirrel in my 46 years on this planet.

Post edited at 11:19
 johnlc 22 Aug 2022

Definitely another vote for Rannerdale Knotts.  It is a steep climb from the road, straight up the side but it has a nice rocky summit and then, heading away from the road/lake/ascent path is a nice ridge with a few rocky lumps that a three year old can toddle around.  There is then an easy downhill slope to the road for a celebratory ice cream at Buttermere hamlet.

OP Cheese Monkey 22 Aug 2022

Thanks all went up Cat Bells today was quite pleasant.

mark burley 23 Aug 2022

Yes, our daughter was fine up Catbells at 3 1/2 with a little bit of help on the scramble bit.

How about Loughrigg, via the terrace  great views all around and lots to see and divert attention (caves, lake views) . 

GrahamD 23 Aug 2022

Depends. Exactly how mobile they are, but Gummers How above Windermere is strangely overlooked given its accessibility. 

Wainers44 23 Aug 2022

A good one for a sneaky high start is Fleetwith Pike, out of Honister. Hot chocolate and cake option at the finish goes down well too.

Other cheating ones which we used when kids were small included Pike o Bliscoe or Cold Pike from Wrynose, or Hardknott from the top of that pass.

Smaller, and with a bit of rock on the top is Dodd, and you would get a great view over to Catbells too.

dread-i 24 Aug 2022

> Thanks all went up Cat Bells today was quite pleasant.

If you read Mrs Tiggywinkle its set on Catbells. In fact one of the pics of Little Town farm, was drawn there. So you can look down and compare it directly with the book, bringing the story to life. A little bit of magic, for a young 'un.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...