Ladybower/Derwent/Howden Current Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 27 Dec 2022

Has anyone been for a walk/run around the reservoirs recently? The Internet says that the roads/paths are closed at the moment - is this still the case? Or is it passable? Hoping to do the c15km loop round the reservoirs tomorrow if possible... Thanks!

Graeme Hammond 27 Dec 2022
In reply to maybe_si:

Unless it's changed the road is shut with a pretty comprehensive barrier/fence system a bit beyond Fairhomes for tree work. Seeking in is unlikely to be a good move.

Sleepymouse 28 Dec 2022
In reply to maybe_si:

We walked round the Derwent between the A57 and the visitors centre. There were signs saying one of the paths was closed, I think it was the upper Derwent between the dam and Howden dam.

Post edited at 08:46
 deepsoup 28 Dec 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

This is the closure (perhaps also the 'internet says' that maybe-si mentions):
https://www.stwater.co.uk/our-visitor-sites/upper-derwent-valley/udv-route-...

I don't know, but personally wouldn't chance it while there's likely to be felling going on.  I think the ideal opportunity to cheekily dodge the fences and do it anyway has just passed.

If doing all the ascent/descent in one go doesn't mess up a training plan, one alternative might be to go directly up to Lockerbrook from Fairholmes, down through either Hagg Farm or Rowlee Farm to cross the A57 and then loop around the far side of Ladybower instead. 

It's a less attractive proposition than Derwent & Howden tbh.  Perhaps a loop around Agden, Dale Dike and Damflask reservoirs from Low Bradfield might be a better alternative.  (Muddier and more 'peaky' in terms of ascent/descent than the upper Derwent, but lovely.) 

Or maybe even two laps round Damflask and one around Agden?  (It's a figure-8 from Low Bradfield, so you could do Damflask one way, then Agden and then Damflask the other way for variety.)

In reply to maybe_si:

There's a Ladybower page on Facebook which reported (about one week before Xmas) that the work will take longer than expected and the road and certain paths, remain closed. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...