Kungsleden - Summer Hike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jlgray94 27 Dec 2022

Hi All, 

I recently visited Lulea in Sweden, which was great and full of snow. However I would like to experience Sweden in the summer. I recently came across the Kungsleden on the movie 'The Ritual', for anyone who has watched it, you may consider me crazy, to now want to do the trail.

After researching the trail, it has me intrigued, nothing too dangerous in terms of climbing a huge mountain but very long scenic walk covering lots of Sweden. I have heard about the STF huts, then of course wild camping is an option too. 

It would be good to do this trail with someone or a group of people, whether it is the whole trail or anyone joining for parts.

A bit about me, I am 28, come from UK, Wirral to be precise just near Liverpool/Chester. I enjoy playing/watching sports, hiking and pretty much open to most subjects.

I am aware the whole trail could be 20+ days. I do hikes near me and find trekking 20km is comfortable therefore would be happy to push onto 20+ each day.

For anyone with more information or experience doing this Trail. Tips, length of time they took completing the trail, advisable walking distance each day etc would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

Jordan

morpcat 27 Dec 2022
In reply to jlgray94:

I don't have any information, but maybe some inspiration: youtube.com/watch?v=wbcijXnFDMs&

OwenM 27 Dec 2022
In reply to jlgray94:

You could try look for a copy of Claes Grundsten guidebook, Kungsleden. It's very popular so you'd soon find someone to walk with if you just started out on your own. I've done bits of it over the years but I prefer solitude.

Another good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JmtE_5ZTwo&ab_channel=TheIndieProjects

Post edited at 13:10
 Brev 27 Dec 2022
In reply to jlgray94:

There are a few kungsleden facebook groups where people share plans, experiences etc, they might be worth checking out. As others have said, it's very popular so you're likely to meet others to walk with for all or part of the way. 

The huts are generally fairly comfortable, but expensive. If you don't mind the extra weight then I'd definitely recommend camping some or most of the time.

There are lots of variations and detours possible, from easy summits to valleys that run parallel to the kungsleden and that are much quieter. If you plan for 25-30 days then you'll either have some days where you can take it easy or some spare days to take in some of these summits or quieter detours.

The app My Map produced by Lantmäteriet can be useful to have, as is the app 112 SOS alarm in case of emergency. There will be long stretches without phone signal so be prepared for that. 

Moacs 27 Dec 2022
In reply to jlgray94:

I've done half of it (the northern half).

Worth getting the guidebook, although it's not the best produced guide ever.

Some random thoughts:

- the southernmost and northernmost sections have sufficient huts that you don't need a tent

- the season is fairly short, but daylight is long!

- the northern section is probably prettiest but also busiest, especially if you detour to Kebnekaise

- the trails can be very boggy, desite long secitons of duck boards.  Carry extra socks.

- the huts sell some food but you need ot carry the main stuff

- I'd recommend getting the train up from Stokholm.  We paid a bit more for a posh cabin and it was great

- Kiruna isn't a place you want to spend loads of time in; Stockholm is

- Walking south to north keeps the sun out of your eyes

- many of the lake crossings have the option to raise a small palstic can to signal that you'd like a lift from the guardian/enne.  In anything other than completely flat calm conditions (i.e. almost always) you should take this option.  Otherwise you will spend 3 hours rowing hard, end up at the wrong end of the lake and still have to pay for the ferry

- take a mosquito net

- if you are tempted to take side excursions (especially out towards the Norwegian border) be aware that the terrain looks benign but is very challenging off the trail.  It is often rather featureless, very lumpy and/or deeply boggy, and completely isolated if you get into any sort of trouble

- think very hard before committing to any unplanned river crossings especially if in spate

- it's an utterly enchanting place

In reply to jlgray94:

400 kilometres long. Mosquitoes in Summer. Hemavan - airport there - Amapola flies to Stockholm Arlanda. Airports also at Kiruna & Gällivare.

Ryanair flies Stansted/Birmingham to Stockholm Arlanda, from where you can catch a train up to Abisko. Alternatively a train from Oslo/Trondheim to Fauske, bus to Narvik, train from there.

Or Helsinki to Oulu (train), bus to Haparanda, train(s) to Boden & Abisko.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...