Interesting spots Moelwynion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pasbury 14 Sep 2023

I'm planning on wandering around the Moelwynion for a couple of days, I'll be looking to get up all the Nuttalls (except Cnicht and Moel Siabod on this occasion) but just as interested in exploring the lakes, slate mines and any other features up in the hills that are off the beaten track and lesser known. 

I might make it as far as Manod Mawr too.

Post edited at 12:21
In reply to pasbury:

Tanygrisiau to Rhosydd and on to moelwyn Bach. The slate trail goes through thereish but detouring off up the inclines toward stwlan takes you near to loads of interesting and spectacular stuff. We wandered a lot but even then only scratched the surface.

Mike Peacock 14 Sep 2023
In reply to pasbury:

Do you plan on being near Cnicht? If so then Llyn Llagi and its brooding cliffs are worth a visit. Yr Arddu (the one west of Cnicht) is well worth a visit - a lovely little hill of tarns and craglets.

I agree with Longsuffering that Rhosydd (and Cwmorthin) from Tanygrisiau is worth a poke around. If you fancy a scramble the N/NE spur of Moel yr Hydd is fantastic. Start at Llyn Cwmorthin and follow the broad rib up, pick and mix of difficulties but not serious.

Slightly east of Manod Mawr is Y Gamallt and its lakes on the Migneint. A really excellent little hill, worth an hour or two (just don't tell anyone about it, ok?).

OP pasbury 14 Sep 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I'll probably be coming up from Cwm Croesor so maybe have a look at that bit of the slate trail. 

OP pasbury 14 Sep 2023
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Agree that llyn Llagi is stunning, I've a vague plan to head over Ysgafell Wen and camp near Llyn Edno so might take in Yr Arddu too.

Good tip on the scramble. Thanks.

In reply to pasbury:

Back in the day we use to go to though the long level mine tunnel from Rhosydd, up an underground tramway incline and scramble out of the open pits below the summit of Moelwyn Mawr. Not for the faint hearted, but we were young and faff.

Mike Peacock 14 Sep 2023
In reply to pasbury:

Ooh, yes Llyn Edno is a nice spot. If you're there you should pop up onto Moel Meirch which is a great wild hill.

This photo shows the Moel yr Hydd scramble on the right skyline:
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3453152
You start where the slabs come down to the lake on the right side here, and then follow the spur off the screen:
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/150011

In reply to pasbury:

If you are planning to visit Llyn Edno then be sure to get yourself onto Moel Meirch. It misses out on Nuttall status by about a metre but is one of the finest summits in the Moelwynion.

I would also second Mike's suggestion of Y Gamallt and Yr Arddu, both wonderful hidden gems.

I am currently writing a guidebook for all the 2000ft peaks in North Wales but some of my favourites fail to make the list. Most of them remain quiet havens for the connoisseur.

Edit. Mike beat me to it!

Post edited at 15:14
 Matt Podd 14 Sep 2023
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

Last year - on my 65th birthday I completed all the 2000' hills in Wales. A very fine project that took me over 45 years. I started slowly and then did a lot when I lived in Eryri. When we inherited a family cottage in Mid Wales I started walking a lot round there. Some of those hills are a labour of love!

Twenty Years ago I brought a copy of Robert Jones's list and realised I had done a fair few of the 225 he lists. This spurred me on to visit the ones I had missed and make trips down to South Wales to walk the Bannau Brycheiniog's and Mynyddoedd Duon's. I finished with Mynydd Mawr.

The Moelwynion are very fine and I had some lovely days out bagging them. All worth visiting, just a shame about the motorbike damage to some of them.

In reply to Matt Podd:

It's true that some of our hills are bloody hard work and hardly worth climbing but there is a peculiar satisfaction in doing them all and building that mental map, isn't there?

The bike damage in the Moelwynion is very saddening. The stretch from Moel Druman to Ysgafell Wen is particularly bad.

OP pasbury 14 Sep 2023
In reply to Matt Podd:

Well done on completing the lot! I've been going up Welsh hills for at least 40 years but only latched onto the Nuttalls about 5 years ago. I'm on about 100 now. Another few years to go.

I'd never have seen the view of the Aran's from Foel Hafod-fynydd or trogged up Cwm Hesgwm without the list. I love knowing the Welsh hills better.

OP pasbury 14 Sep 2023

OK I'll have a look at Moel Meirch. That whole area looks nice and remote.

I look forward to the book - especially the photos...

maxsmith 15 Sep 2023

Sorry to (slightly) hijack the OPs thread:

Hi Mike, I'm going on a trip to the Croesor valley later this year, would the moel yr hydd spur be logical in a round: up and over cnicht, down to lyn cymorthin and up the spur and back over moelwynn mawr? also what approximate grade do you rate the scramble at? many thanks

Mike Peacock 15 Sep 2023
In reply to maxsmith:

It's a bit of a detour but worth it if you're keen for some rock. Grade 1 or 2 depending on line. Nothing serious, lots of scope for variation, always possible to avoid difficulties. Start where the slabs touch the lake - these give very short sections of friction scrambling, then above the this are a series of buttresses/steps. The scrambling lasts a while and the rock quality is good. Some photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepeacock/4550289887/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepeacock/4550928318/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepeacock/4550928590/

maxsmith 18 Sep 2023

thanks Mike that's great - will suit our party perfectly

Jamie Hageman 18 Sep 2023

> I am currently writing a guidebook for all the 2000ft peaks in North Wales but some of my favourites fail to make the list. Most of them remain quiet havens for the connoisseur.

Hi Nicholas, one guidebook I loved when I was little (and still enjoy) is Hill Walking In Snowdonia by E G Rowland.  Do you like that one too?  I have a signed copy.  I look forward to seeing your book.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...