How to avoid slipping on thin ice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 imb 14 Jan 2024

I've done lots summer fell walking in the Lake District, but am only just getting into walking when it's cold. Last weekend I went out late morning. There was no snow or ice but it was very wet as the Lake District tends to be be. As the sun was going down and I was descending the temperature dropped and the dampness froze on the rocky paths. They became very slippery. The ice wan't even thick enough to see. I wonder if microspikes would provide some grip in these conditions, but I have doubts. What do people use in these conditions to stay safe on winter hikes, when conditions are otherwise quite benign and winter mountaineering gear would be over the top?

John Kelly 14 Jan 2024
In reply to imb:

Get off the path, they are lethal in winter conditions and descend the rough grass or the remains of the brackens

Post edited at 16:33
 Marek 14 Jan 2024
In reply to imb:

Microspikes (or variations) are probably the best option. When I did a lot of running in sub-zero condition we used to modify an old pair of trail running shoes by putting about a half-dozen short self-tapping screws into the studs. Made a massive difference on low angled ice (if a bit noisy).

storm-petrel 14 Jan 2024
In reply to imb:

Microspikes are very useful in the Lake District in winter, BUT.........

Like all bits of technical kit they require some understanding of how they work and how they can make things worse in certain circumstances. I love putting my microspikes on in winter and then going scrunch, scrunch, scrunch down a pitched path that is covered in big bubbles of water ice.

BUT, prior to microspikes being a thing I had three decades of wandering the Scottish hills in winter wearing full size crampons. When you have pointy bits of metal attached to your feet it is really easy to start to think you are invincible.

Whereas with full size crampons it is really easy to snag a front point and go sprawling headfirst down a steep snow slope, as a friend once did in the Pyrenees, with microspikes it is all too easy to roll your foot in a way that stops all of the spikes engaging with the ice surface.

Walking with a flat footed gait to ensure all the spikes engage with the ice is needed but isn't necesarily something that comes naturally. With my own spikes (Kathoola) I know that rolling my foot will result in the spikes not engaging and my heel will just skate off the surface.

Equally it is still possible with microspikes to just snag a spike on an edge of ice or rock and go sprawling forwards. If the ice is really thin and not widespread then they probably become more of a liability than a help. So, treat them as a bit of technical kit and learn about how they feel in different circumstances and what their limitations are. They aren't something you can just carry as a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card, but with a bit of thought and practise they can be very useful.

Pero 14 Jan 2024
In reply to imb:

In general, you have to avoid the ice by taking detours. And if there is a lot of bad ice around, you need to get down in daylight.

Scotland can be particularly bad and even microspikes or crampons are not guaranteed to bite sufficiently on hard, bulbous water ice.

It is a genuine hazard for sure.

Post edited at 17:34
 lowersharpnose 14 Jan 2024
In reply to John Kelly:

How you can post on UKC and be one of current leaders in the Spine Race is beyond me.

In reply to storm-petrel:

Yaktrax don't have that problem. Sure, they have other disadvantages but you can just walk normally.

LastBoyScout 15 Jan 2024
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> Yaktrax don't have that problem. Sure, they have other disadvantages but you can just walk normally.

My old neighbour made himself some "crampons" out of some thin chain and bungee cord - he seemed pretty pleased with himself (his drive was on a bit of a slope), but I remain unconvinced they had enough of an edge to give any proper "bite" in anything more than thin snow.

Neil Williams 15 Jan 2024
In reply to storm-petrel:

For thin ice (and for that matter ice on the pavement after snow) I prefer Yaktrax over microspikes.  They bite into a very thin layer of ice very well and aren't an encumbrance when you're on rock in the same way.

They're the ones that look like springs.

Neil Williams 15 Jan 2024
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> Yaktrax don't have that problem. Sure, they have other disadvantages but you can just walk normally.

Sorry, missed that post...yes, I agree!

Root1 16 Jan 2024
In reply to imb:

Whats not really been mentioned here is that microspikes are only good on easy angled terrain. Crampons and ice axe are essential once the slope begins to steepen.

Even walking on hard neve with an angle of say 5 to10 degrees can be dangerous. If the slope steepens below its easy to slide down onto steep or craggy ground.

Toerag 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Root1:

> Even walking on hard neve with an angle of say 5 to10 degrees can be dangerous. If the slope steepens below its easy to slide down onto steep or craggy ground.

I watched three 'lycra hikers' that overtook my mate and I hurtle 150m down a groomed skiroute on their backsides a couple of weeks ago. That'll teach them to go 'fast and light' in trainers! Luckily the slope had a runout and they didn't fly off it.

wercat 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Root1:

perhaps it depends on the microspikes.  I was on Sharp Edge last week in conditions of very thin glazed ice and some rocks that were frosted.  The slabs from the end of the ridge up onto the summit plateau (beside the grotty gully that is the usual route up) are not exactly easy angled and had water ice on many of the little obstacles.  Microspikes made this steep terrain very easy to climb up, pretty well as easy as summer scrambling and yet people without these things had to turn back early on before even getting to the crest of the level part of the ridge as it was lethal.

Obviously crampons are great on neve and steep water ice but actually, after many years in the mountains in winter with only a choice between 12 point crampons and vibram the microspikes (Kahtoola) constantly amaze me with what becomes safe and practical (while exercising due care and attention).  Crampons would have been a great deal more awkward on the steep ground leaving the Edge for the summit plateau.  I know from experience.

It has made me wonder what is the highest mixed grade that has been done in decent microspikes.

(I'm definitely not suggesting this on steep water ice/hard snow or neve where you need the front spikes, and I definitely would not descend a steepish neve slope with them)

Post edited at 11:24
In reply to imb:

For England and Wales: when the rocks are slippy ( wet or frozen ) use the green/brown stuff next to the path. For actual snow / ice invest in a pair of microspikes. Personally, I find rocks when wet and cold are far worse than when they're frozen.

Crampons are not need IMHO when walking on well trodden paths or just piling through the snow.

I walk all year round in NW England and Wales and have never felt the microspikes were the limiting factor. Once the temperatures drop, the spikes are carried in the rucksack until Winter is over. The day you don't carry them is the day you wanted them for the final couple of hundred metres to the summit/ridge and back to the mud-line.

They make life much, much easier and relaxing. Bit like driving through snow with winter tyres.

OP imb 16 Jan 2024
In reply to John Kelly:

This is what I ended up doing, but I felt quite fortunate it was an option.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...