Hiking Ben Nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Sarney 10 Dec 2021
Thread moved from Expedition & Alpine to Hilltalk

Hi all,

Me and my mate are planning on hiking Ben Nevis next week. We are both experienced in many trips to Snowdonia, the Lakes etc but have almost no winter mountaineering experience. We have crampons and ice axes (which we've been briefed on how to use) and can both navigate in limited visibility and have sufficient clothing to keep us warm. We'll plan to hike up the most popular route from Fort William using a Cicerone guide book. We'll keep a solid eye on the Met Office weather forecast and the avalanche update. We plan to start the hike before first light to help with daylight hours and will be primarily using the OS 1:25000 map. Firstly, I guess what I mean to ask is have a missed anything or have I planned wrong? Secondly, we're not afraid to cancel our hike at any time or our trip altogether if conditions are bad since we understand the danger in our lack of experience and the fact that we haven't done the Ben before. The question is, where do we draw the line in terms of visibility/wind/temperature and bail?

Also, I hear that there are sketchy situations higher than 900m up with gullies and cliffs that may be snow covered. Do these show up on the OS 1:25000 map? If not, how do I know where they are? Thanks! Any advice is appreciated. 

girlymonkey 10 Dec 2021
In reply to James Sarney:

Bot

Lankyman 10 Dec 2021

Wrap up warm

Navigating off the summit of Ben Nevis in winter in poor visibility can be tricky.  Once upon a time you could buy a small navigation aid that showed the bearings to take and the "corridor" to follow to get to the top of the start of the Red Burn descent. In a worst case scenario this involves following a bearing and pacing the distances between direction changes.

Al

Post edited at 08:37
 Harry Jarvis 10 Dec 2021

You may find this useful:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/skills/navigating_on_and_off_ben_nev...

However, if you've never used crampons and ice-axe, and are having to ask such basic questions, I think your plan is questionable. It would be better to gain some experience of using crampons and ice-axes on less challenging terrain where the risks are lower. 

SimonCRMC 10 Dec 2021

You said, "We have crampons and ice axes (which we've been briefed on how to use)."  Have you ever walked in crampons, and more importantly, have you ever done an ice axe arrest?  (See also Harry Jarvis' reply) If not, Ben Nevis is not a good place to have to do it for real without having practised!  As you're wise enough to be on here asking for advice, you might be best hiring an instructor to take you up and do some winter skills training on the way.  That way you have a safe day and learn some core stuff for next time.  HTH.

Ridge 10 Dec 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Bot

When walking on a bridleway and you hear the sound of hoofbeats, it probably isn't a zebra.

MarkAstley 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Maybe you could link up with this person so you can all be safe together, especially as you both joined the same day...

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/lifts+partners/hiking_ben_nevis_in_winter...

Ridge 10 Dec 2021
In reply to MarkAstley:

> Maybe you could link up with this person so you can all be safe together, especially as you both joined the same day...

Oh no I didn't! 😃

Post edited at 19:55
 Co1in H 10 Dec 2021

Stay home.

Try it in summer first. The Ben is not the place for your first experience with an axe and crampons.

Sir Chasm 10 Dec 2021

You'll be fine, go for it.

cragtyke 11 Dec 2021

https://www.mwis.org.uk/forecasts/scottish/west-highlands/text

This is the weather forecast you want. Not looking great for next week.

Dr.S at work 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> When walking on a bridleway and you hear the sound of hoofbeats, it probably isn't a zebra.

Is it the limbs of walkers caught in MTB wheels hitting the ground repeatedly like a flail?

Is it?

Post edited at 13:20
 Bojo 11 Dec 2021

I note you have not responded to any of the comments made in answer to you OP. Any particular reason?

Trangia 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> You'll be fine, go for it.

Poor advice and potentially dangerous for someone with limited experience. In the light of the OP's comment, what makes you think it's good advice?

DaveHK 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Trangia:

> Poor advice and potentially dangerous for someone with limited experience. In the light of the OP's comment, what makes you think it's good advice?

Do you think there is an OP?

Trangia 11 Dec 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

Who knows?  But as, on the face of it, the OP appears genuine, it's irresponsible to guess otherwise because of the seriousness of the subject matter.

Lankyman 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Trangia:

I think the fact that, over a week later, no response from the OP suggests they're a troll, a bot or plain rude.

In reply to Lankyman:

Or lost on Ben Nevis.

Al

GrahamD 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Trangia:

It's not necessarily poor advice given the *OP's* declared experience.

girlymonkey 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Trangia:

It is the same formula as all the other bot posts which start off with a similarly structured question on something mountaineering related to look genuine before going on to pedal whatever lies they are trying to push on the world. There have been a plethora of them and a check of the profile tends to make them quite obvious.

In reply to girlymonkey:

Ok first what’s a bot   And second what’s the point ? If they are “Going on to pedal lies “ surely they need to come back replying with the lies 

Red Rover 11 Dec 2021

Let me guess, your next post is going to be about how Covid isn't real and the vaccines contain mind-scanning chips?

Red Rover 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Name Changed 34:

Recently there have been quite a few posters/bots who make a new account, ask a question about hiking ben nevis or climbing stanage but it doesn't sound quite right, and then a day or so later they post threads about how the vaccine is sterilising people or covid was invented by the CIA to control your mind. The first question is an attempt at cover, to look like a real climber.

In reply to Red Rover:

have gone through the post linked above about old age  the two replies from the bot op have no subliminal agendas that I can spot  unless it’s we are lesser than the op

sorry if I’m being thick 

Little doubt that the title Hiking on the Ben says something of the poster   

girlymonkey 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Name Changed 34:

That's the point, they don't put their anti-vax or whatever messaging in that conversation. It is to make their account look more genuine when they do either start a nutjob thread or contribute nutjob replies to other threads. 

In reply to girlymonkey:

Got it 👍

Mike-W-99 11 Dec 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

The Ben alder chap has only posted on his own thread with acceptable responses. Don’t see anything unusual about it.

Lankyman 12 Dec 2021
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> The Ben alder chap has only posted on his own thread with acceptable responses. Don’t see anything unusual about it.

A couple of themes common to these 'is it a bot?' threads:

An extremely ambitious undertaking for a very first post on UKC

Little/no previous relevant experience to the very ambitious undertaking

Red Rover 12 Dec 2021
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Once you get your eye in you can just tell.

Trangia 12 Dec 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I am still struggling to understand why anyone would start a thread for which they have no real interest just so that they can worm their way into the forum with the intention of posting anti vax crap when they could join and go straight into Politics and post whatever crap they like? What's the point of the charade? As others have said I haven't seen anyone post like this, then come back later with crazy ideas/beliefs. It all seems rather pointless.

Concerning my own post (15:15 Sat) I still think it's irresponsible to reply to an appeal for advice with potentially dangerous advice, because you can't be 100% certain that they are a fraud/"bot" (whatever that is?) or similar, and if it is a genuine request for advice the consequences of such a flippant reply could prove fatal. I accept that the OP was odd, but there are some odd people out there who are still genuine and not necessarily malicious.

if you suspect a fraud then why bother to reply a all?

Post edited at 09:23
In reply to Trangia:

> I still think it's irresponsible to reply to an appeal for advice with potentially dangerous advice, because you can't be 100% certain that they are a fraud/"bot"

It's also worth remembering that people other than the OP will read the reply. And that replies will remain extant, and searchable.

Red Rover 12 Dec 2021
In reply to Trangia:We are just a tiny tiny part of the great bot wars sweeping the internet, with lots of people using forums to push their agendas. All part of a campaign to change public opinion. Note that the OP hasn't replied to this thread.

Bojo 12 Dec 2021

Judging by the comments your op has attracted I would say you've been rumbled

Howard J 12 Dec 2021

I don't know whether this is a troll or a bot, or not.  On the one hand the OP hasn't responded to any of the replies, but neither has he tried to push a different agenda, and if he were to try I'm sure the mods would be onto him.

I do feel that when someone posts a request for advice such as this the response should be either to take it seriously or  else to ignore it.  Flippant or misleading replies could, if the poster is genuine, lead them into real danger.  There is also the possibility that it could be seen by someone else who is genuinely seeking advice.

GrahamD 12 Dec 2021
In reply to Trangia:

There is a real problem (for me) about this notion of dangerous advice.  At its best, outdoor activity is an adventure relying on one's own judgement.  I don't think it's at all healthy to try to take the personal judgement out  of outdoor activities.   

Lankyman 12 Dec 2021
In reply to Howard J:

> I don't know whether this is a troll or a bot, or not.  On the one hand the OP hasn't responded to any of the replies, but neither has he tried to push a different agenda, and if he were to try I'm sure the mods would be onto him.

Ever heard of playing the long game?

> I do feel that when someone posts a request for advice such as this the response should be either to take it seriously or  else to ignore it.  Flippant or misleading replies could, if the poster is genuine, lead them into real danger.  There is also the possibility that it could be seen by someone else who is genuinely seeking advice.

Are they so puddled that they'll always choose the 'flippant' advice? If so, then they're in the wrong game and will probably die at home trying to wire a plug to a shower head anyway.

Red Rover 12 Dec 2021
In reply to Howard J:

The agenda pushing normally comes a few days or weeks later on other threads.  This first post is just to say "Hello human climbing enthusiasts, I am a human climbing enthusiast just like you." Sometimes a human does intervene to say they aren't a bot but the stuff they come outwith is usually a giveaway.

Post edited at 19:14
In reply to girlymonkey:

It wouldn't be surprising if someone from UKB was having a go at trolling here.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/off_belay/ukc_christmas_trolling_competit...

Lankyman 13 Dec 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

> Once you get your eye in you can just tell.

What do you think of the guy on the gear forum asking about a footprint for his tent ... ?

Red Rover 13 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

The "footprint for discontinued tent" thread? I'm 90% sure they're human. It's far too nerdy a question for a bot trainer to use, and they've replied to the thread. Unless they're getting more nuanced, the bots often go for honeypot questions like "what should I know about going up Ben Nevis".

One thing occured to me though, should we actually be keeping quiet about all this? By pointing out all these bots are we just helping their trainers make them better?

Lankyman 13 Dec 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

There's another one (with a similar format of username) asking about crampons on the hiking forum. Joined on the same day as well.

Red Rover 13 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

It's a bit too soon to tell as they haven't had much time to not reply yet, but I'd say they could well be a bot. Not sure though. If these two are bots then they are getting a lot better. A year or so ago they would be asking "how can I climb Stanage thanks" and it was more obvious.

DaveHK 13 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> There's another one (with a similar format of username) asking about crampons on the hiking forum. Joined on the same day as well.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt. They are odd threads though. 

OP James Sarney 27 Dec 2021

Hi guys. Sorry for being passive. I've been really busy but I did use the advice so thanks for that. Sorry to disappoint those who said I should stay home but I did Ben Nevis three times!🤙🤙since the weather was so good. We did Pony path, CMD arete and Ledge Route with four different wild camps at around 700m. It was one of the trips of my life so thanks again for all the constructive advice (if this is even read). Happy late Christmas!

Sarney

Lankyman 27 Dec 2021

Are you 'avin a laugh?

GrahamD 27 Dec 2021

That would be interesting to see, especially your descent routes and camp spots.

With all that being said, I don't want to mislead other ppl starting out in mountaineering like me. In fact, sadly there was a death in the Aonach Beag area during the same good weather window as me.🙏

In reply to GrahamD:

We always descended via the pony path for safety. Camping at the halfway lake and neaf the CIC hut proved good moves as the avalanche risk was very low and they gave good head starts to many of our routes

Presumably you've got some nice photos to show us?

Pete Pozman 27 Dec 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

> We are just a tiny tiny part of the great bot wars sweeping the internet, with lots of people using forums to push their agendas. All part of a campaign to change public opinion. 

Are these posts generated automatically somehow? UKH/C seems a pretty safe obscure backwater. Why post here? Will the same post appear in other outdoor forums? Genuinely enquiring. 

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I would but it says I need to be a UKC supporter . I swear I did go 😂

summo 27 Dec 2021

>  they gave good head starts to many of our routes

What routes were in condition? 

Lankyman 27 Dec 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Are these posts generated automatically somehow? UKH/C seems a pretty safe obscure backwater. Why post here? Will the same post appear in other outdoor forums? Genuinely enquiring. 

I'm not sure but a couple of bot/trolls may be talking about jackets on the mountaineering thread

GrahamD 27 Dec 2021

Camping at the halfway lochan AND the CIC ? You did all those routes carrying camping gear ? That must have been hard going.

In reply to summo:

For us, CMD arete was in perfect condition. Ledge route was good although a bit damp low down. But we also came across climbers who did Castle Ridge, no3 gulley and some route I don't know near the North East buttress. I think in the weather that was present, most routes were on the cards for experienced mountaineers. 

Lankyman 27 Dec 2021

> I would but it says I need to be a UKC supporter . I swear I did go 😂

Anyone can add photos to their UKC profile. Can't wait to see CMD in perfect conditions.

summo 27 Dec 2021

> For us, CMD arete was in perfect condition. Ledge route was good although a bit damp low down. But we also came across climbers who did Castle Ridge, no3 gulley and some route I don't know near the North East buttress. I think in the weather that was present, most routes were on the cards for experienced mountaineers. 

That's good, I heard nevermore had a few ascents  

In reply to GrahamD:

We did have a slightly slower pace but since we only went for three days, stamina wasn't really an issue. But I don't recomend carrying full overnight gear like we did. If the conditions weren't so good it would've been borderline dangerous to be honest. 

In reply to summo:

Anyone got any other good recommendations around the area if I were to go back? 

Hoyes 27 Dec 2021

Hi James, it was good to meet you last week. I was the bloke heading for Number 3 gully with my mate when you were heading for Ledge Route. We also did Castle Ridge the next day, which was bone dry. Impressed with you guys lugging camping gear around, good training! Don't forget to check out the Conville courses.

Hoyes 27 Dec 2021

> Anyone got any other good recommendations around the area if I were to go back? 

Curved Ridge and Aonach Eagach (in summer conditions - i.e. snow free) if you've not done them

In reply to Lankyman:

>> I would but it says I need to be a UKC supporter . I swear I did go 😂

> Anyone can add photos to their UKC profile. Can't wait to see CMD in perfect conditions.

This is weird. You must know that that's untrue. I for example, although I have given them immense indirect support for over two decades, have never been a 'UKC supporter' – because of one particular issue – but I've been able to upload dozens of pictures over the years with no problems at all.

Now, if you hadn't managed to take any decent photos, I'd understand it. But here you imply strongly that you did.

What's going on?

Post edited at 20:54
 tehmarks 27 Dec 2021

There appears to be one (long-registered) poster here that can confirm that James is actually a real person who was really in Scotland; given that, why does it matter? Who cares?

Again with the crap atmosphere. Come on you bunch of dull old men, find some festive spirit.

rlrs 27 Dec 2021

One cannot upload photos to the thread if one is not a paid-up Supporter.

In reply to tehmarks:

I couldn't care a damn about any pictures, or what he did. I'm simply puzzled by him saying he would have put up pictures if he could, when there was actually nothing to stop him.

In reply to rlrs:

> One cannot upload photos to the thread if one is not a paid-up Supporter.

If that's the case I'm sorry, I'll admit that I was wrong. But I wasn't aware that I've ever paid them a bean. If I did it must have been about 2 decades ago. I'll have a look now to see.

Edit: OK, I've looked it up, and see that I am not a Supporter. Yet, as you will see, I've uploaded many pictures without any problems over many years. Perhaps they've recently changed the rules??

Post edited at 21:31
 montyjohn 27 Dec 2021

I joined this site today.

When I respond to anyone it says:

"Adding photos is only available to UKH supporters." with no option for me to upload

Maybe just let it go, my first post on this platform had some great responses, followed by a minority that make this place very unwelcoming to newcomers. It seems the same minority are accusing every newcomer as being a bot, or scammer or something.

Not a great use of their time, or very helpful for the forum. 

Post edited at 21:33
In reply to montyjohn:

OK, sorry, I didn't realise it had all been changed. End of subject ...

... and a happy new year to you

rlrs 27 Dec 2021

The distinction is only being allowed to add photos to your posts on a thread if you are a supporter, rather than to your own photo gallery, which I think is still open to all registered users. I would guess both of the protagonists (photagonists!) were unaware of this.

DaveHK 28 Dec 2021
In reply to montyjohn:

> It seems the same minority are accusing every newcomer as being a bot, or scammer or something.

Obviously that's not nice for a new user but to be fair to those suggesting it there were a string of really weird posts with similar themes by newly registered users.

Hovercraft 28 Dec 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

Having followed this thread I do think it is sad that an enthusiastic newbie to this forum has been “welcomed” in such a way. With the prevalence of bots and fabricated accounts, I get why it has happened and as a rule I am not a fan of finger pointing. But is  a real shame.

Lankyman 28 Dec 2021

> I couldn't care a damn about any pictures, or what he did. I'm simply puzzled by him saying he would have put up pictures if he could, when there was actually nothing to stop him.

He seems to be playing the prat. And a few of us 'old men' fell for it.

In reply to Lankyman:

He's not the one being a prat.

> You must know that that's untrue

You appear to be confused, Gordon. You can't post pictures directly into threads without being a Supporter. A new member might not realise that pictures can be uploaded to their profile.

Which is what Lankyman said, so I don't know why you're questioning him, when you appear to be addressing the OP...

summo 28 Dec 2021

I'd say you are the exception that broke the rule.

Ukc is generally full of educated, experienced, helpful people, who will happily help explain things to those new to the sport. In fact there is an expert in just about any profession on here, who will answer anything imaginable.

Opinions vary on many things and debate is endless, but without exception there aren't really any anti vaxers, anti anything.... ranting unproven nonsense here. In the last two years there have been many non mountaineer accounts created to try and preach to us, at first they were blatant, then they got wiser asking a random mountain question, before starting multiple covid related threads etc..

Ukc patience had, has, worn thin with fake accounts and i guess you bore the brunt of it. Apologies.

Where next for you, don't be lured into thinking all the best routes, mountain days, scrambles etc lie on the highest hills in the country. If anything gain some experience on slightly smaller hills in North Wales and the lakes. They can be a little more forgiving, less committing, nearer roads, more daylight, less avalanche risk (but not zero), when the odds turn against the inexperienced, 4000ft hills in Scottish winter can be brutal dangerous locations. 

Stay safe. 

fred99 28 Dec 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

> There appears to be one (long-registered) poster here that can confirm that James is actually a real person who was really in Scotland; given that, why does it matter? Who cares?

This one (long-registered) poster hasn't posted on any subject since November 2018.

It could therefore be quite possible that this poster may be either hijacked or one that was left dormant until needed by a "bad actor".

Maybe this (long-registered) poster could post a recent photo of the walk in question.

tehmarks 28 Dec 2021
In reply to fred99:

Have I been parachuted into the middle of a mass episode of psychosis?

OP James Sarney 28 Dec 2021
In reply to Hoyes:

Hiya. Hope you had a good trip. I think sign ups for the Conville courses opened a couple days ago. Thanks for the pointers 👍

TechnoJim 28 Dec 2021
In reply to fred99:

Maybe the long-registered poster, whose account and logbook look totally legit, doesn't have to prove a damn thing to you or anyone else.

What the hell is happening here?

In reply to fred99:

Stop it.

In reply to Hoyes:

Thanks I'll make sure to check them out!

summo 28 Dec 2021
In reply to fred99:

> This one (long-registered) poster hasn't posted on any subject since November 2018.

In their profile they have listed routes for 2019, 2020... perhaps we just need to give the new poster the benefit of the doubt? 

Posting here shouldn't be like dragons den meets Alan sugar. 

Blimey, whilst I applaud the regular users who 'out' the bogus and dodgy accounts, I would be very put off looking inwards if I was a genuine  new user to this site and subjected to such suspicion and hostility.

Please folks, innocent until shown guilty.

In reply to summo and TheDrunkenBakers:

Thanks guys. I don't mind being accused of being a bot. After all I did go silent for quite a while. Also, sorry for my  smug response yesterday which restarted discussion😅. Thanks for the recommended locations. I think I'll plan to go to Snowdonia next for a bit more scrambling experience. Overall, the forum has been very useful and entertaining if anything! I'm sure I'll be back sometime. Cheers

Hoyes 28 Dec 2021

> Hiya. Hope you had a good trip. I think sign ups for the Conville courses opened a couple days ago. Thanks for the pointers 👍

Just had a look out of curiosity. They used to do a Scottish Winter course and an Alpine course and it now looks like they do an Alpine Preparation course - which I think is the one applications are open for. Two days at Plas y Brenin - will be an awesome experience 

I'd say you guys are exactly the sort of people the courses are aimed at. Good luck!

In reply to Hoyes:

Thanks Hoyes. Youre a legend 😎

In reply to Lankyman:

Cheers for the pointer about how to display a photo by the way. I'm new and a bit unsure about how everything works on this site. I submitted a picture of CMD arete for those who are curious. It says it should appear in my gallery within a few hours if approved. It's of my mate looking back along the ridge. Hopefully u enjoy it cos I thought it was a stunner. 

Maggot 28 Dec 2021

Good piccy and a great looking day 🙂🙂🙂

You are obviously an AI enabled drone!

In reply to Maggot:

Must be the vaccine. 

Maggot 28 Dec 2021

You shouldn't have any problems with your GPS device on a Ben Nevis whiteout then.

Darron 29 Dec 2021

Have you found the ‘find crag feature’ on here yet. It’s not just crags and the Snowdonia hills and ridges are on it. People post comments on their experience and you may find these useful. Try this:

Y Gribin (Grade-1)

Sean Kelly 29 Dec 2021

The important thing to remember James is that we were all beginners once, even those that get up Everest. Come to think about it, some of those still are!

Post edited at 17:54
 Siward 29 Dec 2021
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Blimey, whilst I applaud the regular users who 'out' the bogus and dodgy accounts, I would be very put off looking inwards if I was a genuine  new user to this site and subjected to such suspicion and hostility.

> Please folks, innocent until shown guilty.

See also the 'forum activity' threads (which have actually descended onto another covid/fake accounts thread populated by a diminishing number of contributors but I digress....) 

kingieman 31 Dec 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

YES

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...