NEW ROUTE CARD: High Street North

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Norman Hadley 15 Nov 2023
The High Street range is perfect terrain for striding out, Just ask any Roman soldier, pacing out the miles between Brougham and Ambleside. This route samples the northern terminus of the ridge, with its craggy escarpment offering magnificent panoramas over Ullswater. As so often with the Far Eastern fells, the lesser summits of Arthur’s Pike, Bonscale Pike and Steel Knotts prove to be the highlights, with steep slopes of boulder and bracken and interesting summit features both artificial and natural. We start at the lakefoot village of Pooley Bridge. After the shocking collapse of the original stone structure, courtesy of Storm Desmond in 2015, it’s a relief to see the new stainless steel arch bedding into the landscape. The village is often busy with visitors but you’ll soon be out on the open fell, enjoying some of the most delightful views in the Lakes.

14.23 miles, 22.90 km, 857m ascent, 6:30 – 7:30 hours. Penrith

Read more

Harry Jarvis 15 Nov 2023
In reply to Norman Hadley:

Or for a slightly shorter version, take the ferry between Pooley Bridge and Howtown. 

Lankyman 15 Nov 2023

It's a lovely area but Bonscale and Arthur's Pikes really demonstrate how odd some of Wainwright's criteria on what constitutes a seperate fell were. From up on the heights they barely register from what I recall. Great views of Ullswater mind and on that score alone they're worth visiting.

OP Norman Hadley 15 Nov 2023
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Yes, Harry, the boat opens options. The Pooley Bridge bailout is mentioned at step 11 but you could also do the sailing first and go anticlockwise round the fells. Or get the boat from Glenridding and do the whole loop from Howtown. Loads of possibilities. 

OP Norman Hadley 15 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Absolutely, Lankyman. Both "summits" are overshadowed by grassy lumps 20-30m higher just to the south. Yet I reckon AW's priorities were sound: his designated summits are both nicely poised on the edge of steep ground, putting aesthetics before arithmetic. 😃 

Lankyman 16 Nov 2023

>putting aesthetics before arithmetic. 😃 

Agreed. It's just one of the many charms and idiosyncrasies of Wainwright's guides. If he had personal guidelines they were based on 'feeling' rather than maths. I've read a few biographies (plus his own 'Fellwanderer') and I think I recall that how something looks viewed from the valley approach was a major factor. Slight Side on Scafell comes to mind. Why didn't he give a chapter to nearby Great How? It's much more of an independent fell than Slight Side. Just looking at the OS map and 'The Far Eastern Fells' you could (IMO) argue for seperate fell status for quite a few lumps and bumps in the region. I've wandered over much of Place Fell and there are a few examples there (eg Bleaberry Knott or High Dodd particularly).

OP Norman Hadley 17 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

It's Ill Crag I feel sorry for. All that effort reaching 3000 feet, throwing such a noble aspect over upper Eskdale and not getting picked. And Stonesty Pike, lording over Cockley Beck. Yeah, Place Fell is great for exploring all the knobbles - I reckon there's an article of mine on here (partly) about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...