Glen Strathfarrar access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DH3631 03 Apr 2023

Does anyone have up to date knowledge of how far up the Glen Strathfarrar road it is now possible to drive? I believe that the summer access period has now started, but the information on the MC of S website is not entirely clear on this point. It refers to parking at 283386 (the normal start point for the 4 Munros on the N side of the Glen), which I have done fairly recently (2021). But I was wondering if it is now possible to drive as far as the power station (183381) in Gleann Innis an Loichel, or close to it. I was thinking of starting up An Riabhachan from that point. If the parking spot mentioned on the MC of S website is now the furthest West you can drive, I suppose it would be possible to take a bike and cycle the rest, but taking into account the extra time and faff, it might be simpler to approach from Loch Mullardoch, or even up Glen Elchaig. Many thanks.

Fat Bumbly2 03 Apr 2023
In reply to DH3631:

Was up at Gleann Innis an Loichel on the last but one day of last year's opening. No knowledge of any reduction in access, but if there were I would expect the MCoS and others would be making some noise.

gld73 04 Apr 2023
In reply to DH3631:

Haven't heard of any changes for this year, in which case yes, you should be able to park there. I did twice last year, once to do the 2 smaller marilyns (Beinn Dubh an Iaruinn and Meallan Odhar Doire nan Gillean) on a shorter walk, then again a few weeks later to do the 2 eastern Mullardoch munros of An Riabhachan and An Socach on a longer walk.

Feels very strange driving over the 2 dams; the second one feels quite narrow even in a normal car, it must limit the size of vehicle SSE can get to the hydro station!

OP DH3631 04 Apr 2023
In reply to gld73:

Thanks very much for both these replies. Sounds like it should be fine, though the info on the MC of S site could possibly be slightly clearer. I guess that many if not the majority of cars taking access don't go beyond the start point for the 4 hills on the N side of the glen, but as mentioned, it would be quite a significant reduction in access to stop cars there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...