Gas in Mallaig?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlanLittle 08 Nov 2023

I'm planning a Rough Bounds backpacking trip for next year, with a day's stopover to rest & restock in Inverie. One of the things I might be needing to restock is gas: I emailed the Knoydart village shop to ask about gas canisters, but they don't stock them.

Does anybody know if anywhere in Mallaig has them? I was thinking about going over there anyway for a dolphin-spotting cruise as my rest day activity.

Worst case I could just start out with enough gas for the whole trip, but as I get older I find myself needing to pay more attention to keeping my pack as light as I can get away with.

dread-i 08 Nov 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Could you get amazon to deliver to a pickup location? Many small stores and post offices offer that service.

OP AlanLittle 08 Nov 2023
In reply to dread-i:

Nice idea, but is sending gas canisters by post allowed?

oldie 08 Nov 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Builders merchants and DIY shops often have gas. Can't remember if Mallaig is bog enough to have them.

oldie 08 Nov 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Johnston Bros filling station near harbour has pic with gas on website.  01687462213

oldie 08 Nov 2023
In reply to oldie:

Johnston Bros in Mallaig 

Post edited at 10:18
 dread-i 08 Nov 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Nice idea, but is sending gas canisters by post allowed?

Amazon seem to think so. They dont have any warnings about delivery.

oldie 08 Nov 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Sorry,gave wrong Tel no for Johnston Bros which is 01687462215. They do stock gas but best check compatibility

Post edited at 11:59
 malky_c 08 Nov 2023
In reply to oldie:

It will doubtless be back in action next year but currently closed for a refurb.

Dave the Rave 08 Nov 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Try Mallaig Harbour Authority. Shut on Sundays.They sell a lot of boating and outdoor hardwear, flasks etc.

Id be surprised if they didn’t sell canisters.

Its on the way to the ferry. 

01687 462215

In reply to Dave the Rave:

Is there only one phone in Mallaig...?

philipivan 08 Nov 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

A while since I've been to Mallaig but I'm getting a local hero vibe now. 

In reply to philipivan:

> but I'm getting a local hero vibe now. 

That's exactly what crossed my mind... Maybe this number is for the quayside phone box...

Dave the Rave 08 Nov 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

Unfortunately the phone box scene was filmed in Pennan, East Scotland. 
That number is 01346 462215

> That's exactly what crossed my mind... Maybe this number is for the quayside phone box...

freeflyer 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Unfortunately the phone box scene was filmed in Pennan, East Scotland. 

> That number is 01346 462215

Please tell me that if you phone that number you get to listen to “Going Home”!

CantClimbTom 09 Nov 2023
In reply to dread-i:

I don't think they don't offer gas for pickup locations, tried myself once (last year) and they didn't do it then, courier elf n safety I think

leland stamper 09 Nov 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

I regularly get camping gaz sent to me by post or collect from nearest Sainsburys or Argos. Unfortunately nearest Argos is Fort William. Sainsburys doesn't seem to exist in Highlands.

oldie 11 Nov 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

To (partially) clear up some of above confusion with phone numbers etc.

Apparently the filling station and chandlery at Mallaig are both part of Johnston Bros and have the same phone number  01687462215. The chandlery is underneath, but not run by, the Harbour Authority. (Denholm Fishing Company seems to own the business but probably irrelevant here.) Two sizes of disposable gas canister are stocked. I'm sure you'd check shop location and opening days/hours anyway.

Disappointingly the chandlery is not contained within a Tardis-like phone booth.

I remember waiting at Mallaig years ago before the wonderful train journey back to Glasgow. 

OP AlanLittle 11 Nov 2023
In reply to oldie:

> I remember waiting at Mallaig years ago before the wonderful train journey back to Glasgow. 

My entire experience of Mallaig to date consists of dashing from the train to the ferry with barely five minutes to spare, then dashing back in the other direction a couple of days later. I'd like to have time for a look around next time.

Post edited at 23:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...