Fallen trees in Northumberland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Pozman 08 Dec 2022

Tried to fight a way through between Bloodybush Edge and Windy Gyle; I failed!

Massive Storm Arwen damage still not cleared. A massive job. Big fat routes on the map were impassable.  Is there a site where you can find out which paths will go?

Sam Beaton 08 Dec 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I don't know the answer to your question but if there are fallen trees across public rights of way then report them to Northumberland CC's PROW team who will be able to ensure they get removed. Most PROW teams across the country nowadays only have the staff and resources to deal with the issues that get reported to them, so NCC won't necessarily know that there are the problems you describe 

Ian W 08 Dec 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

> I don't know the answer to your question but if there are fallen trees across public rights of way then report them to Northumberland CC's PROW team who will be able to ensure they get removed. Most PROW teams across the country nowadays only have the staff and resources to deal with the issues that get reported to them, so NCC won't necessarily know that there are the problems you describe 

It doesnt appear to be as easy as that - there's one of the NMC who is / was a forestry manager, and his estimate of the trees lost was approx 2,000 ha. Or roughly 10 million trees.....on the Forestry England website, they list the forests that are still closed, but i can't find a list of paths / trails within forests that are generally open. On that site it says they hope to have the forests open by mid '23, but no indication of individual paths. I suspect that would be down to the individual forest, but cant say for certain.

yorkshire_lad2 09 Dec 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Not sure if this is the exact location you have in mind, but there are diversions and forestry work in the area of the Pennine Way in Northumberland see e.g.

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/en_GB/trails/pennine-way/news/

OP Pete Pozman 10 Dec 2022
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

I was making for Windy Gyle after doing Bloodybush Edge and I tried to crawl through on the bridleway after the sheepfold at Davidson's Linn. Grid Ref: NT882156

I'm getting too old for that so crawled back out and struggled up to the moor via the gill just north, with still some log hopping. I ran out of time for Windy Gyle and settled for a peep at Scotland instead. Got back to my bike just after sunset.

Post edited at 10:38
 JDal 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

In my experience, reporting to Northumberland PROW team has little effect. I reported a couple of issues where famers have illegally ploughed up paths 3 years ago, and nothing has been done. Maybe the farmer got a letter, who knows. I think they are woefully under-resourced.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...