Dulyn Bothy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Podd 29 Oct 2023

To the person who left a big bag of rubbish hidden in a gorse bush on the walk out. (including pot noodle containers and disposable barbecue), it’s ok - I carried it out and binned it. 

jezb1 29 Oct 2023
In reply to Matt Podd:

It's a shame that place is so close to a road

Neil Williams 29 Oct 2023
In reply to jezb1:

> It's a shame that place is so close to a road

It is.  Almost certainly the person who left that bag of rubbish is one of da lokal yoof and isn't a poster here.

Well done to the OP for disposing of it.

In reply to Neil Williams:

I don't know about that. The last time I was there, after a 20 mile walk with another big day planned for the morning, I was kept awake all night by three guys and their children. They put the kids to bed, ie at 11pm pushed 5 hyperactive and overexcited boys into the back room which was full of sleeping people, and then proceeded to get absolutely paralytic to the point of falling over, trashing furniture etc.

Why do I bring this up? Because I gathered from their very loud chat that they were members of a climbing club. With very little detective work the next day I found one of their logbooks on ukc.

So, don't go demonising local kids when some so-calleds grown-ups who frequent this site and should know better are capable of being proper tw*ts.

Neil Williams 30 Oct 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

There are badly behaved people in any walk of life, but there IS a problem at that bothy (and other similarly located ones) of groups of lads just treating it as a party venue, and just because a small number of climbers are badly behaved doesn't mean we can't bring up that genuine issue as it affects bothies that aren't far from the road.

ScraggyGoat 30 Oct 2023

Poor Bothy behaviour is not limited to local lads, nor  just bothies close to the road.  Those days are long past, bothies are now well known and publicised, and always were to some degree ungoverned spaces. Which has always been part of their attraction to some users.

Bar people trying to burn bothies down, I once watch someone throw 10Kg of coal still in the bag directly onto a Bothy fire, Finding the worst kind of ‘presents’ left behind is common place. A bit of rubbish is at the low end of the scale (but still unacceptable).

The two second worst finds I’ve cleared up have been; A Bothy whose every surface is covered in mouse shit, with a big sheet of card board on the Bothy floor the mice have nibbled into. On closer inspection it was two sheets of cardboard pressed together with several human poo’s sandwiched and then squished between. The mice had been nibbling through to get at the undigested nuggets. I dug a big hole buried the lot, and then tried to sweep up the worst of the droppings.  The other was a very remote Bothy which had been used last New Year which was very cold. The NY inhabitants had just walked out the door and shat within a couple of feet on the bothy, so there were about a dozen or more ‘mines’. 
I won’t describe the worst as people will still be having breakfast!

Neil Williams 30 Oct 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I'll be honest, that already made me feel queasy!

Lankyman 30 Oct 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

It's instances like you describe that really put me off bothying. Even if the chances are low of encountering these morons in situ, the thought of having to put up with a night of it in some inescapable location really doesn't appeal. I've only stayed a handful of nights in bothies and the only 'disturbance' was at Sourlies when a group blundered in after dark, head torches blazing causing me to think we were being abducted by aliens. They were actually decent about it and cooked outside before quietly settling down to kip. I think the shyster element has always been around but it's just the increase in numbers and their move further out into wild country that depresses me.

ScraggyGoat 30 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

People arriving after dark is standard, while those that are on holiday, or are time rich settle in early. The Scottish based (and less so those from elsewhere) nine to fivers will commonly arrive late, often at or after midnight, subsequent driving and walking in post work.  It obviously depends how courteous they are and whether their W/E activity is hill based, or Bothy drinking focused as to how the rest of the night might fare.

Shysters have been around along time, yes the near the road the more often they are in residence, but nowhere is completely immune, and this has been the case for decades.

mattc 30 Oct 2023
In reply to Matt Podd:

Good effort! 

Forester3 30 Oct 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat: I must just have been lucky, I’ve spent quite a few nights in bothies, both Scotland and Wales - eight this year alone - and not experienced any issues (well apart from a mouse chewing a hole in one of my gloves when staying at Sourlies last March 😳). I have however, often had to give them a bit of a tidy up, though nothing too bad to date.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...