Does anyone have some B2 boots they would recommend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 imb 16 Jan 2024

I've been a summer holiday Lake District fell walker for years. Now I'm living near the fells I'm considering getting equipped and skilled for winter walks when the peaks are covered in snow and ice. I've been reading reviews of B2 boots and am finding hard to identify ones worth trying on because of a lack of consistency between reviews of the same boot. For example, Mammut Kento Pro High is a Best Buy on thegreatoutdoorsmag.com but considered too flexible and cold for serious winter use on ukclimbing.com. Scarpa Manta Tech GTX is often rated highly, but climibing.com says all-around design means it excels at nothing, Lace-up system makes it hard to counteract heel lift, Light insulation limits its winter functionality.

I wonder if anyone here has some B2 boots that are still on sale that they love and would heartily recommend?

olddirtydoggy 16 Jan 2024
In reply to imb:

I was hiking and scrambling this week on the tops of Scottish munros with walking crampons strapped to some Scarpa Manta Tech GTX's. They are on the heavier side of the B2 level so I'd say they excel very well in cold conditions where you're not hanging around too long. I wouldn't want to be belaying still for an hour in them but that's not B2 territory. Compare these to the Mammut Kento which a friend uses and the difference is quite obvious.

GrahamD 16 Jan 2024
In reply to imb:

This really depends on how serious a route you are contemplating in winter.  To me B2 implies proper crampons on non technical terrain.

For UK use I'm happy with my Altberg leather boots for this sort of thing, although I've no idea what their B rating is.

Guy Hurst 16 Jan 2024
In reply to imb:

Whatever fits your feet best. Everything else is secondary.

Paul Evans 17 Jan 2024
In reply to imb:

Been very happy with my Alltberg Tetheras, and they come in a variety of width fittings to help you get the perfect fit. The UK based manufacturer will also resole them for you when they eventually need it, and they do a very good job.

Paul

ianstevens 17 Jan 2024
In reply to Guy Hurst:

> Whatever fits your feet best. Everything else is secondary.

This. Get off the internet and go to a shop.

Sharp 17 Jan 2024
In reply to imb:

Don't worry about reviews, I've done tower ridge in B0 summer boots and flexible crampons and I've spend a day walking in fully rigid B3s. Almost all boots are excellent these days. Just choose based on fit.

Rockatt 18 Jan 2024

I'd only add that I *wouldn't* recommend the Scarpa Ribelle Lites. I was recommended them for summer alpine mountaineering and also grade I/IIs in winter by a very reputable outlet (my choices were those or Mantas I think and I was worried that the latter were very heavy). Found them very much not waterproof, and subsequently was told they aren't warm enough for Scottish winter so turned to be a very expensive mistake. 

Post edited at 23:00
 Twiggy Diablo 20 Jan 2024
In reply to imb:

i’d say get into Needle Sports or Rock and Run and try some on. 

They’ll help you choose some crampons that fit well too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...