Creag Meagaidh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 19 May 2023

Evening

If planning a late camp and walk up Creag Meagaidh, is Lochan Uaine ( across from the Window)worth the extra haul of a pack as compared to staying by Lochan a Choire?

ta

Dave

In reply to Dave the Rave:

It's lovely and wild over the back there, but if you're coming in up Coire Ardair with a heavy pack then you may struggle to motivate yourself to carry all the stuff any further than Lochan a' Choire. A base here and going lighter on the hill is obviously logistically easier, though perhaps it does commit you more to a linear out-and-back-the-same-way sort of route. You'll lose the sun earlier though, that's a disadvantage.

Scenery wise however, it's the prime place. And has a couple of decent tent spots towards the east end of the lochan - think I've only camped there once, pictured in this old tent review (2nd shot), but would definitely go back https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/camping/tents+bivvys/lightwave_s10_sigma... 

OP Dave the Rave 20 May 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks Dan.

Looks a good spot. I’m only planning on Meagaidh, so out and back isn’t an issue. If it’s nice which it says it’s going to be, I’ll try the top Lochan.

cheers

Dave

OP Dave the Rave 24 May 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Hi Dan

Just back from the trip and it was great, thanks for your input.

We camped in the Coire Ardair and glad we did.

My brother in law was having problems with his heart rhythm so we pitched and let him settle down. He doesn’t cope well carrying loads.

Set off at 1830 for the top on Monday night, and the top section of the window is pretty horrible even with a light pack, so glad we had jettisoned the load.

Got to the top for 2000. The Lochan sat the top look great but for a really lightweight effort.

The weather wasn’t great, clear but cold and windy and we got to the tent at 2100.

The winds picked up and I’m glad I took a sturdy tent, there were waves on the Lochan

Thanks for your advice here, much appreciated👍 Dave

In reply to Dave the Rave:

Hey Dave, thanks for the update. Really glad you had a good trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...