Conditions in Alps for hiking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RX-78 16 Nov 2023

Hi, i know some here live in/near the Alps. I am Lyon where it has been very mild and wet. I was thinking of hiking in the alps this weekend and wondering what conditions are like. From various webcams the snow seems to be down around 2000m? I guess fairly light covering? Anyway any info would be good. I was thinking of hiking to one of the refuges.

philipjardine 16 Nov 2023
In reply to RX-78:

lots of landslides, roads and paths destroyed, rivers overflowing following the recent thaw in Savoie/Haute Savoie and further south I think

Doug 16 Nov 2023
In reply to RX-78:

In the Haute Alpes its been mostly wet, sometimes snow down to 1200 but mostly very warm for the season (14° in our village at 1250m on Monday) so the snow below circa 2000m has mostly gone. But with the heavy rains many paths, especially if riverside,  have been washed away/destroyed (eg the usual access to one of nearby CAF huts is no longer possible) & everywhere is a bit damp. Some roads are also still shut due to landslides or damage to bridges.

But the forecast for here for the weekend is quite good, dry, some sunshine & day time temperatures  10° or more in the valleys. But the warmth will also probably mean that the remaining snow at altitude is thawing with some avalanche risk where the snow is more than just a powdery coating.

Sounds like further north has had more snow & rain in the last few days than here.

OP RX-78 16 Nov 2023
In reply to Doug:

Thanks, something to think about, I was planning on heading to Pralognan-la-vanoise or Modane. But maybe might stick to Chartreuse or Vercors.

yorkshireman 16 Nov 2023
In reply to RX-78:

> Thanks, something to think about, I was planning on heading to Pralognan-la-vanoise or Modane. But maybe might stick to Chartreuse or Vercors.

Grenoble is on flood alert so watch out for disruption. I'm in the Vercors (Lans) and the snow is gone below 2000m and it's been quite mild but the autumn colours are stunning when the sun is out and the next few days look like they're going to be great for hiking. 

OP RX-78 17 Nov 2023
In reply to yorkshireman:

Thanks, good to know.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...