Claerwen overnight parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramblin dave 20 Jan 2024

Quick follow on from another thread - I'm planning a trip with a friend to do a two day walk with a night at Dolgoch hostel.  It looks like the foot of the Claerwen reservoir or the head of Caban-coch would be good places to leave the car, but they seem to have "no overnight parking" signs in the main car parks.

Does anyone know whether these are the sort of signs that people actually care about and enforce, or are they more the "we reserve the right to turf you out if you set up camp for a week" sort of thing? And if it's the former, are there any alternatives? We don't mind paying, but we would need to be in a reasonable place to start a route from, and ideally without having to drive all the way over to Strata Florida or something.

I remember seeing a load of apparently un-hassled campervans at Claerwen dam the last time we went through, but that was pre-pandemic and a lot of places seem to have got stricter since then...

Marek 20 Jan 2024
In reply to Ramblin dave:

On a bike-packing trip a few years ago I had the same problem - no where to leave a car for a few days. Even in pay car parks with '24h parking' you still couldn't stay 'overnight' (???!!!). I asked around in Rhayader and the consensus seemed to be "just leave it on a residential street and it'll be OK". Which I did and it was. Looking at some parking websites it does seem that they do check up and turf off people in rural car parks, but what they would do if you weren't there is anybody's guess. YMMV and all that.

Welsh Kate 20 Jan 2024

I have 'not noticed' the no overnight parking in the valley a couple of times, though not since Covid, and not had any problems. I've also left my car in the car park in Rhayader (the one with the loos by Dark Lane); you can stuff the pay and display machine with enough money for the full stay - I think I paid about £12 during a 3 day trip not that long before Covid.

Great area for walking!

There is a nice bigish parking spot opposite the toilets in Elan village (SN 93165 64938) where I park when riding in the area because I'm too stingy to pay in the car park. It would be a fairly safe place to leave a vehicle overnight I think. About 6km from Claerwen dam.

pasbury 20 Jan 2024

I've paid for 48hrs at the Elan Valley visitor centre (go into the shop) to go and do Drygarn Fawr & Gorllwyn.

The walk from Claerwen back to there is fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...