Cheviot bog conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nedhed 25 Nov 2020

Anyone been up the Cheviots recently? I’m wondering what the ground is like...is the water level over any of the flagstones or (highly unlikely) not?

cheers

Herdwickmatt 25 Nov 2020
In reply to nedhed:

Do you mean over actual Cheviot top or further round the horseshoe?

i can’t imagine it’s in too bad nick at the minute, it’s been relatively dry of late. And to be fair the bigs are part of the fun

Fat Bumbly2 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Just to th north: the Lammermuirs are pretty soggy right now.

Herdwickmatt 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

But no worse than general November conditions?

OP nedhed 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Both, I’m undecided on where to go and don’t fancy wet feet.

pass and peak 28 Nov 2020
In reply to nedhed:

Apart from a slight frost today its been the usual warm and wet, so yes a bog trot from the usual approaches. FWIW I only go up cheviot when its under snow and been well below freezing for several days, that way I can walk over the top of the bog and I'm local! If you want the drier approach then you'l need to go from the North, its a more asthetic route anyway. Park at Heathpool, bike the 5km up the private tarmac road to Mt Hooley bunckhouse, leave bike. Follow track up into the "Henhole" past the crags and out steeply on the right to emerge at Auchope Cairn, follow flaged path to summit, you can return down path to near the rescue shelter and freewheel back down the road!

Herdwickmatt 28 Nov 2020
In reply to pass and peak:

Yes that way is a nice little trot out, I've done it from langleeford and dropped down Bizzle crags and returned that way. I tend to do the horseshoe (Hedghope round to Cheviot) in all conditions. It's good moutain marathon training and always good fun! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...