Chains and scrambling in the High Tatras, Slovak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
KieranSQ 05 Aug 2019

Hello, 

I am going on a 6 day trek in the Tatras in a few weeks (itinerary based from here https://www.travelslovakia.sk/slovakia-trips/self-guided-tours/hut-to-hut-h...). The guide book makes numerous references to scrambling and chains, both of which I have little experience of and am worried about the difficulty. First of all do I need any equipment for normal chains?

Second are the chains and scrambling particularly difficult and dangerous? 

Lastly does anyone have any photos or advice for these? 

david100 06 Aug 2019
In reply to KieranSQ:

i have walked in the tatras with my polish wife. on the polish side any difficulties are short and the chains are simply there to pull on. the routes are used by countless tourists each year. There is a narrow ridge called orla perc which people regularly fall off. However i have only been on one trip to the polish side so get a second opinion.

BobtheBagger 06 Aug 2019
In reply to KieranSQ:

I've run through the Polish Tatra and we came across a few sections of chains there. Only looked down into Slovakia, didn't actually cross the border. I found the chains useful, more for coming down quickly, than ascending. I'll try to send you a photo or two.  No special gear was needed, just a bit of a head for heights. As previous post says, loads of locals were on the hills in Poland and they all seemed to cope so the chains are well used and fairly 'normal', not difficult or particularly dangerous. 

Have fun....

pavelk 07 Aug 2019
In reply to KieranSQ:

There is nothing difficult on the route you have chosen. All marked trails in Tatras are quite easy compared to what you can meet in the Alps

Beware of very strict visitors rules in Slovak Tatras. You are not allowed to leave a marked trail. Only registered climbers can but the climb bust be at grade 3 UIAA or harder. So for example normal route to Gerlachovský štít (the highest peak) which is grade 2 is forbidden! (unless you hire  a mountain guide (a little eastern way of milking visitors))

Post edited at 10:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...