Campsites on Arran

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harry Jarvis 16 Nov 2023

Does anyone have any suggestions for nice campsites on Arran?

I'd like some basic facilities, and I do like a nice sunset, so somewhere on the west coast would be good, but not essential. 

Toccata 16 Nov 2023
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Lochranza a good spot for sunset in the summer. There's the odd midge though.

Retrofish 16 Nov 2023

Seal shore on the south coast is excellent and there are no midges due to the sea breeze.  May be in luck and see the odd otter or submarine.

OP Harry Jarvis 16 Nov 2023
In reply to Retrofish:

> Seal shore on the south coast is excellent and there are no midges due to the sea breeze.  May be in luck and see the odd otter or submarine.

Even the name sounds delightful! I had seen this online and liked the look of it, but a personal recommendation is most helpful - thank you. 

I think I would be more enthusiastic about an otter sighting, although now I think of it, the son of a friend will be in a submarine at the time I'm planning to go. 

OP Harry Jarvis 16 Nov 2023
In reply to Toccata:

> Lochranza a good spot for sunset in the summer. There's the odd midge though.

Thank you, Lochranza looks a nice spot. I'll assume that 'the odd midge' is a bit of an understatement! I'm planning to go in April, so I would hope the blighters aren't too much of an issue at that time. 

DH3631 16 Nov 2023

+1 for Lochranza. It's within walking distance of the pub, and the distillery, if that's a consideration. There are no sites actually on the west coast, but there is one at shiskine which may possibly get sunset views westwards - never stayed there so can't confirm though. Midges shouldn't be a problem anywhere at that time.

Pedro50 16 Nov 2023
In reply to DH3631:

And there's an unpretentious golf course next door, the camp site loaned us clubs. 

CameronDuff14 16 Nov 2023

Glen Rosa campsite is the cheap and cheerful option. It's a field with a toilet block (no showers) and in land, but you can access the majority of the walking and climbing straight from it.

Midges are a major issue from memory...

Post edited at 20:23
 CameronDuff14 16 Nov 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I played a round there with my family! None of us had ever held a golf club before. I shot 120 on a 9 hole course, and we had to stop for dinner halfway through (we started at 2pm). The green keeper was lovely and when he realised just how slow we were being he went told us to leave the clubs in the shed when we were done and went home!

(we were the only people on the course, wo weren't holding anyone up!)

Hi Harry hope you are doing well.

I was on Arran in May last year, stayed at seal shore for 5 nights. A nice site right on the shore, with reasonable facilities. More vans than tents when I was there, but that wasn't a problem.

Only downside is it's a bit of a drive (30 mins? each way) up to the mountains, although there are plenty of nice coastal and low level walks.

Glen Rosa campsite is in a beautiful spot and great if you want to get up onto the mountains, I walked past it twice on my way up to or out of the mountains, but I didn't stay there. I think it is cheap but basic. 

Martin

A lot of years ago on a whisky odyssey a few of us stayed at the one near the distillery that's also a golf course (is that lochranza??). We had checked the forecast and asked the owner if we could pitch up at the top on the edge of the course. He was quite happy to agree and seemed surprised we were the first to ask. Nice site if I remember. Which I don't, really, if I'm honest.

We waded back from the distillery to the only tents that were above the new banks of the river.

Wee Davie 16 Nov 2023

In April midges shouldn't be too much trouble anywhere in Arran unless you are very unlucky. Lochranza is a nice site. There's also The Cuddy Dook one in Lamlash which is good. Never stayed at Seal Shore.

One thing to point out about the Glen Rosa site. It's very basic facilities- wise. A toilet and a sink last time I was there. It's an amazing spot but if the weather is 'taps aff' you can sometimes get the Young Team and their large kerry oots staying there and potentially disturbing the ambience. 

streapadair 16 Nov 2023

Very basic, but no midges.

rj_townsend 16 Nov 2023

I used this one bridgendcampsitearran.com for a club trip last summer - nice site, not massive, decent enough facilities and was reasonably priced. Location was pretty central too.

Toccata 17 Nov 2023
In reply to Wee Davie:

> One thing to point out about the Glen Rosa site.... It's an amazing spot but if the weather is 'taps aff' you can sometimes get the Young Team and their large kerry oots staying there and potentially disturbing the ambience. 

That was me in the 80s. Still got up the next morning and went climbing though.

fmck 17 Nov 2023

Don't be put off but be aware the ferry situation from Ardrossan is pretty disruptive at the moment. The place gets busy from Spring so when cancellations occur mayhem ensues. The ferry is on its last legs and breakdowns pretty regular. Just had to cancel two weekends in a row and was stranded in May when it cancelled due to fog!

We're down to just the old banger for winter so we'll see how that goes. The Glen Sannox I'm sure will save the day. It's super expensive so hopefully reliable.

Other than that the place is brilliant.

OP Harry Jarvis 17 Nov 2023
In reply to everyone:

Very many thanks to everyone. So far, Lochranza appears to be ticking most boxes. I'll manage without the golf, but the nearby pub sounds promising. But Seal Shore does sound appealing ...

Glen Rosa sounds a little more basic than I would like. 

To rjtownsend - I note the Bridgend campsite is up for sale, which may be a factor. I hope for their sakes they manage the sale soon. 

In reply to fmck:

> Don't be put off but be aware the ferry situation from Ardrossan is pretty disruptive at the moment. The place gets busy from Spring so when cancellations occur mayhem ensues. The ferry is on its last legs and breakdowns pretty regular. Just had to cancel two weekends in a row and was stranded in May when it cancelled due to fog!

Thank you for that advice. Is the Lochranza ferry any less unreliable? Time is not an issue, so I may wander down via Kintyre or Cowal. 

> We're down to just the old banger for winter so we'll see how that goes. The Glen Sannox I'm sure will save the day. It's super expensive so hopefully reliable.

I admire your optimism (unless I'm failing to detect your sarcasm!). The Glen Sannox story is not a happy one!

> Other than that the place is brilliant.

To my shame, it is well over 50 years since I was last there. I hope to make up for some lost time. 

Bulls Crack 17 Nov 2023

+1 for Lochranza which, despite being tucked in a bay has nice sunsets whhc you can maximise by nipping round the western point. Glen Rosa faces the wrong way - better for sunrises! 

Lankyman 17 Nov 2023

> Thank you for that advice. Is the Lochranza ferry any less unreliable? Time is not an issue, so I may wander down via Kintyre or Cowal. 

Not sure where home is but be aware that the road that connects Oban and Lochgilphead is closed (until November according to Google maps) due to the landslide last month. It's a nice wandering way through Cowal to the Tarbert ferry. You can get onto Bute as well by the short ferry onto the north end. Not been to Arran yet but it's on the list.

In reply to Lankyman:

There was a piece on the radio about the impact of the closed road on the local communities. I hope for their sakes the road is cleared by the time I go, next April. As it is, if I opt for the northern approach (rather than the Ardossan ferry), I would probably be heading down the A83 on the west side of Loch Fyne. 

Lankyman 17 Nov 2023

> There was a piece on the radio about the impact of the closed road on the local communities. I hope for their sakes the road is cleared by the time I go, next April. As it is, if I opt for the northern approach (rather than the Ardossan ferry), I would probably be heading down the A83 on the west side of Loch Fyne. 

I saw the TV item. Tried getting to Oban the weekend of the record rainfall in October and got turned around by police before Loch Lomond. Of course the Rest and Be Thankful was blocked (again).

fmck 17 Nov 2023
In reply to rj_townsend:

> I used this one bridgendcampsitearran.com for a club trip last summer - nice site, not massive, decent enough facilities and was reasonably priced. Location was pretty central too.

It's up for sale at the moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...