Cairngorm funicular again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 21 Sep 2023

https://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2023/09/21/hies-decision-to-close-the-cair...

Closed on safety grounds a few weeks back after botched repairs. I wonder if/when they'll stop pouring money into this thing?

Pids 21 Sep 2023
In reply to Andy Johnson:

> Closed on safety grounds a few weeks back after botched repairs. I wonder if/when they'll stop pouring money into this thing?

And yet scheduled to reopen by end of September, only a week or so away - maybe its not that bad?

crustypunkuk 21 Sep 2023

Admittedly not a structural engineer, but a mechanical engineer. 

I'm not sure if the original fubar, or the short sighted bodge is worse.

Seems like a perfect example of the great british culture of 'that'll do it'.

I for one will not be using the funicular.

ExiledScot 21 Sep 2023
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Rather than bodge and scarper, it's more like bodge then hang around to get paid to fix the bodge! 

The northern slopes of Cairn Gorm are utterly despoiled, in my opinion, and the funicular adds to that despoilation. Somewhere to avoid.

Post edited at 07:35
 Siward 22 Sep 2023
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

The outdoors is a resource to be exploited for gain. I get to the point that I think staying local is the only option for fear of being part of it.

cf. flying, tourism 

spenser 22 Sep 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

I think that defines tradesmen in university towns very well! We had a recurring issue in a house at uni, the agents sent one chap round who did a half assed job, a month later another one turned up, on the 5th occasion the 1st turned up again.

J72 23 Sep 2023
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

Agree - there is something utterly surreal about emerging from a long day (or few days) from Loch Avon up Coire Raibeirt and then seeing the crowds, funicular detritus and fencing for snow sports as you drop down to the ski centre car park.  

streapadair 24 Sep 2023
In reply to J72:

Many years ago, early June, I did a 5 day trek from the Linn o' Dee, stitching all 20 circa-Cairngorm Munros , Sgarsoch to Bhreac.

Day 4, slogging up Cairn Gorm from Loch A'an, I stripped down to running shorts, socks and boots. On the summit, a bloke who'd wandered up from the top station, sports jacket and suede shoes, in all seriousness upbraided me for being so scantily clad on the high tops. I thanked him for his concern, gave a brief outline of my trip, and assured him I would be fine.

In reply to J72:

> Agree - there is something utterly surreal about emerging from a long day (or few days) from Loch Avon up Coire Raibeirt and then seeing the crowds, funicular detritus and fencing for snow sports as you drop down to the ski centre car park.  

The route from the easternmost car park via the Creagan Dubh ridge is recommended, quite a nice way up that avoids the worst of it.

Welsh Kate 24 Sep 2023
In reply to streapadair:

That kind of thing can happen to anyone. I popped up Pen y Fan after SARDA searchdog training a few years ago, just in a pair of light boots and a lightweight waterproof in a bum bag. I was stopped coming off the top by a family - mum, dad, 12 year old daughter - all wearing street clothes and wondering if I should be walking equipped in the way I was, especially as I was a lone woman walking :-/

In reply to Welsh Kate:

just in a pair of light boots and a lightweight waterproof in a bum bag. 

Well, I can imagine that might have raised eyebrows...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...