Cadair Idris parking etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NBR 18 Jul 2022

Any one got info on good campsite near by or safe overnight parking for a couple of days as I was also considering Llyn y Gadair for wildcamping.

Cheers in advance for any input.

CantClimbTom 18 Jul 2022
In reply to NBR:

Given the tension caused by idiots recently, example the people who put up a massive tent and BBQing by Llyn Geirionydd (which made local news) there's an escalation in tension about the topic. Whatever you do make sure you keep an even more discreet low profile than usual. You need to be ultra stealth no trace.

Maybe what you need is a one person tent disguised as a very large sheep ?

In reply to NBR:

There's a campsite right next to the Ty Nant carpark and on the other side of the mountain there's the Cwm Rhywyddfor campsite.

Lots of people camp next to Llyn y gadair so if you go for that don't expect to be on your own and please be careful not to pollute the lake.

dread-i 18 Jul 2022
In reply to NBR:

I believe there is a bus that goes up the A487, so they could drop you off at the layby. Last time I was there there were a number of tents, not so stealthy fishermen and others, at LLyn Cau.

In reply to dread-i:

Yes, there's a bus which goes up the A487 from Mach, so NBR could leave his car there in the big public car park in the middle of town, or find a free option, eg behind the Plas, and then hop on the bus. That's no good for the north side of the mountain though, if they're set on something like Cyfrwy arete or camping at Llyn y Gadair in particular they'd have to walk over the mountain.

One good option with free parking might be to park at the layby at the top of the Tal-y-llyn pass and then walk up the north east ridge of Gau Graig and then Mynydd Moel. There's plenty of discreet places to camp if you examine the map.

OP NBR 18 Jul 2022
In reply to NBR:

Thanks,

Getting the feeling that campsite will be better than the wildcamp there. I'll look into campsites.

Tried googling TyNant campsite but only found a carvan/moterhome jobbie.

Anyone been to.

https://www.hafoddywyllcampsite.co.uk/home

Post edited at 12:03
OP NBR 18 Jul 2022
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Yes was thinking about Cyfrwy arete and Table Direct, as appraoch.

Myfyr Tomos 18 Jul 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

That's a lovely shot Myfyr. It's made me feel quite sad about my self-imposed exile.

Myfyr Tomos 18 Jul 2022

It'll still be there. 😉

OP NBR 18 Jul 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Thats a cracking shot!

You wouldn't happen to have contact numebers for those campsites, my google fu seems to be weak today.

Myfyr Tomos 18 Jul 2022
In reply to NBR:

Just spoken to the farmers and they both said "Just turn up". They're that type of sites - just tap and toilet. No such formality as booking.

Grid refs for sites.

Erw Gwyddil, SH696154

Tyddyn,         SH692155

OP NBR 19 Jul 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

You absolute star, now I just as long as the World doesn't melt before i get a chance to get over there. Diolch!

Post edited at 06:11
OP NBR 16 Aug 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Well after having to pospone trip finally made it out there last weekend. Used Erw Gwyddil, which suited our needs perfectly. So just wanted to resurrect thread to say thanks again.

ben b 18 Aug 2022
In reply to NBR:

The best of ukc -proper helpful responses and then a really helpful human being going out of their way to help, who ends up being thanked by a genuinely grateful one.

Much better for the soul than the "inconsiderate 'hiking' group".

Thanks all but particularly to Myfyr Tomos and NBR for the feedback. Chapeau.

b

ianstevens 18 Aug 2022

The bus is the T2. You can also take it to Dolgellau where you can easily walk in the whole way to Cyfrwy, town-summit-town is about 16km. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...