Bla bheinn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 17 Oct 2019

Is Bla Bheinn best done up and back the same route? No circular or other options? Thinking of an approach from Camasunary bothy.

In reply to Flinticus:

In descending order of preference I'd say it's:

1. via Clach Glas and Sgurr nan Each. But that's a hard scramble/easy climb

2. South ridge from Camasunary. Really nice, but a comparatively big day if you start at the road

3. Standard route via Coire Uaigneach. Not brilliant in itself, but great surroundings if you don't mind scree plodding, and it's very quick: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1231 

You could combine 2 and 3 if you had suitable transport

kwoods 17 Oct 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Can't add to Dan, but my first time I accidentally did a small round trip from Coire Uaigneach, taking in the E spur of the south top, cross to main summit, then down the E spur of that.

But Clach Glas is really, really brilliant.

Iain Thow 17 Oct 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

The South Ridge is nice and handy from Camasunary bothy, only one tricky bit descending from the South Summit. Easiest descent if returning to the bothy is to head SE to to the col with Slat Bheinn (traces of path) then descend the corrie to the south.  

If you're ok with serious scrambling and the odd bit of Mod (Diff if you do the top chimney on Blaven rather than going round right) then the Clach Glas ridge is superb. From Camasunary start up Coire Dubh just south of Loch an Athain (rough) to reach the col between Garbh Bheinn and Sgurr nan Each. Return down the South Ridge. As good a day out as anything in Britain.

There's also a very quick descent down the upper part of Willinks Gully (west side of the col between the two tops), then escaping northwards to more open broken ground via a pale coloured scrotty groove about halfway down. Make sure you don't miss the escape groove or you'll have a right epic (as the eponymous Willinks brothers found out).

Mike Peacock 17 Oct 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

>

> 2. South ridge from Camasunary. Really nice, but a comparatively big day if you start at the road

> 3. Standard route via Coire Uaigneach. Not brilliant in itself, but great surroundings if you don't mind scree plodding, and it's very quick: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1231 

> You could combine 2 and 3 if you had suitable transport

Or walk along the road to link them? It's only 3.5 miles. I'd like to say it would be a pleasant enough road walk (half of it along the loch shore), but my understanding is that Skye is now besieged with tourist hordes so maybe the road has become busy and unpleasant.

OP Flinticus 17 Oct 2019
In reply to Mike Peacock:

This with a dog?

OP Flinticus 17 Oct 2019

What about the bealach with Slat Bheinn and down Abhainn nan Leac back to path to South Ridge?

Iain Thow 17 Oct 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Abhainn nan Leac is an easy descent, pathless but grassy (Although I had a cloudburst there last time and the streams got big very quickly). Tempting to go too far left too soon when leaving the South Summit but the crag soon tells you you've gone wrong.

A friend took her dog (a collie) up the gully just left of the South Summit (coming from the main one) and on down the South Ridge without any problem, but the direct version might be tricky with paws instead of hands. 

In reply to Flinticus:

I've not been that way, but it looks logical (albeit I'd bet just reversing the S Ridge would be more fun). Let me know how you get on if you do it

OP Flinticus 17 Oct 2019

'Weather' I do it.

So damn changeable 

OP Flinticus 17 Oct 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

This circular route would allow me dump my overnight bothy gear before heading up.

31770 17 Oct 2019
In reply to Mike Peacock:

You don't have to do it all along the road - the Skye Trail cuts the corner from the Bla Bheinn carpark to the road About 1km before Kirkibost it's a bit boggy but not too bad. Only leave you about 1-2km of road. 

Iain Thow 17 Oct 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Sounds a good plan. Have fun.

Mike Peacock 17 Oct 2019
In reply to 31770:

Oh yeah, I see it visible on the aerial photography. Good call.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...