NEW ROUTE CARD: Beinn a' Mhuinidh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Beinn a' Mhuindh may not be a high hill, but it's certainly eye-catching, its tilted layers of rock bearing striking witness to the tectonic forces that shaped the northwest Highlands. Named for the dramatic waterfall cascading down the west face, it translates as Mountain of Pissing, a name very much telling things as it sees them. A rough walk, if not a long one, Beinn a' Mhuinidh offers a stunning outlook on the Torridon hills, neighbouring Slioch, and down the length of Loch Maree, hands down the finest body of fresh water in the world.

6.21 miles, 10 km, 692m ascent, 3:30 – 4:30 hours. Gairloch

Read more

Mark Bull 05 Oct 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

This is a very worthwhile walk - next time I do it I'll definitely go up the way you suggest rather than via the very steep and heathery gully next to the waterfall, as per the SMC Grahams book! 

It certainly gives a very different view of Slioch - from Loch Maree Slioch looks like a big fortified castle, from Beinn a Mhuinidh more like a great armchair!

In reply to Mark Bull:

It's a bit rough and brackeny at first but pretty straightforward and logical. Only disadvantage is no waterfall view (well not unless you've seriously miscalculated where the cliff edge is) 

Post edited at 16:07
 kinley2 05 Oct 2023

Quite a lot of options for Beinn a Mhuinidh, but personally I think including a trip through Gleann Bianasdail with the hill is worthwhile if doing it as a day walk.

It's a good hill for a summit camp too - water sources near the top and a great view.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...