An Teallach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Saz Cooper 02 Jun 2022

Hello everyone, my first dip of the toe into UKH. I'm planning a walking, scrambling trip in Torridon and a bit further N in a few weeks. I'd really like to finish with An Teallach and it looks like the most difficult part of the scrambling is at the beginning of the pinnacle bit and avoidable if necessary. What I'm really asking is how much harder to expect than say the Aonach Eagach or Crib Goch etc both of which I've walked solo a few times? I know weather etc, etc can all make things relatively harder on the day. Thank you ))

Post edited at 20:55
 rogerwebb 02 Jun 2022
In reply to Saz Cooper:

If taken direct throughout probably a wee bit harder. The 'bad step ' ( the bit you have already identified) is quite exposed. If you get there and are in doubt there is a very obvious way round on the west side ( the east side is a bit terminal). 

It is well worth doing even if you decide not to do everything the hard way. If you take all the diversions probably easier than the Aonach Eagach. 

OP Saz Cooper 02 Jun 2022
In reply to rogerwebb:

Thank you very much Roger

HB1 03 Jun 2022
In reply to Saz Cooper:

FWIW An Teallach was my very first mountain. I was blown away by it -bloody fantastic I thought! That was 50+ years ago (I was a summer warden at the local SYHA hostel in Dundonnell, just below) No problems for me then (might be more now)  I was still a teenager at the time - what a start to a walking/climbing life! Enjoy

Sean Kelly 04 Jun 2022
In reply to Saz Cooper:

Just pick a nice day and it will be much more pleasurable, with no slippery rock to contend and easier nav.

Siward 05 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

When I conquered An Teallach I was a much younger striping and had read all about the fearsome difficulties. In the event the so called bad step was a bit I scampered up almost without thinking to overtake a much slower party who had ropes out and so on. Despite being on this site I'm no climber really.

Just goes to show its horses for courses but I found it easy going. 

mountainbagger 05 Jun 2022
In reply to Siward:

> Just goes to show its horses for courses but I found it easy going. 

Yes, I'm no climber, but very used to hillwalking and scrambling/soloing climbs up to diff (well, severe, but those were ones with hard starts and easy finishes!) and I found An Teallach a perfect day out. It was dry and not windy which helps a lot on a ridge! I had the same experience on Aonach Eagach. And PD routes in the Alps for example.

And, for balance, despite being on the end of a rope and probably being objectively safer than any of the above, following a very competent lead, I was totally bricking it on One Step in the Clouds 😱

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...