affordable - but quality poles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

First time buying poles, I've never felt I've needed them but heading to the lakes for some QMDs this week and think it's for the best - any recs for affordable yet quality poles?

tehmarks 09 Dec 2023
In reply to georgiaaharriet:

I bought a pair of Fizan Compact Pro for the Pyrenean Haute Route in the summer, and they survived entirely intact other than for a horse standing on one and bending it. I'd recommend them highly, though I can confirm they do hurt if they smash you in the face - for example, if your pole-supported tent blows down in a hoolie while you're sipping your morning coffee.

PaulJepson 09 Dec 2023

Something like the Black Diamond Trailback would fit the bill. Will last a lifetime and can be got for ~£50.

Andypeak 09 Dec 2023

One of the few good things that sports direct sell are the Karrimor carbon walking poles for about £30 a pair. Lumo do the exact same pole but with their branding if you don't want to support Mike Ashley although you will have to pay slightly more for your principles. 

Guy Hurst 09 Dec 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

The Black Diamond Trail Back poles are very good value. Simple but strong and the flicklock system is reliable.

nastyned 09 Dec 2023

Sports direct do (or did) cheap carbon fibre Karrimor walking poles. 

spenser 10 Dec 2023

It's worth noting the flicklock and twistlock poles are generally cheaper than the folding ones with the cord threaded through them, although the latter are much better if you are scrambling as you can fit them inside a lot of rucksacks with nothing poking out.

Robert Durran 10 Dec 2023

Decathlon

pebbles 10 Dec 2023

Iv been very happy with a pair of go outdoors flicklocks i bought for £30. Iv Had more expensive ones before but iv found these are just as good.

Iv never got on with twistlocks because they always seem to stick eventually

Toerag 11 Dec 2023

Dunno how price compares to other brands, but I've had a pair of the basic Leki twistlocks (Makalu?) for years and the quality is excellent.

tallsteve 11 Dec 2023

The Decathlon Forclaz MT100 are silly cheap, and I borrowed a pair off the then future daughter in law.  I have had expensive Leki's, cheap chinese knock offs and just about every other brand up until then.  I was so impressed with the Forclaz I bought four - two for me and two for the missus.  Very light, fold up dead short (important if scrambling or climbing with  yer sack on), and they don't bend when you weight them (I used to be 17 stone, nearly 100 kilos), and if I a pole I won't weep over £6?  The only gripe is that after rain you need to let them dry extended to prevent the spring clips from seizing up. 

Post edited at 13:06
 Derry 12 Dec 2023
In reply to markk:

+1 for harrier poles. I got a pair of z carbon poles for trail running, and have done 1000+ miles with them. Use them regularly for hill walking and bigger alpine stuff as they're so light, and my other climbing partners have always been impressed by them too. 

based in the UK which for me is a big bonus.

Harry Jarvis 13 Dec 2023

I would recommend the Alpkit poles, but I can see they're sold out. 

https://alpkit.com/products/compact-hiker-twins

The Compact versions have the benefit of folding sufficiently small as to be stowable in a day pack. 

Rupert Woods 13 Dec 2023
In reply to markk:

Very good customer service and doing 20% Xmas discount

AWP84 13 Dec 2023

Another vote for the Black Diamond ones here. I actually slightly bent one of the sections of my Black Diamond poles in deep snow falling on it and they replaced the section for free with no fuss. 

magma 13 Dec 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Decathlon

yes, i'm happy with the forclaz for £30 (as a replacement for a snapped karrimor carbon)

Rampart 13 Dec 2023
In reply to Derry:

>  1 for harrier poles. I got a pair of z carbon poles

Huh, they do look good - now I feel silly for getting some BD ones for almost twice the price.

Ridge 13 Dec 2023
In reply to Derry:

> +1 for harrier poles. I got a pair of z carbon poles for trail running, and have done 1000+ miles with them. Use them regularly for hill walking and bigger alpine stuff as they're so light, and my other climbing partners have always been impressed by them too. 

Mrs Ridge has the aluminium version. Seem really decent quality and have had a fair bit of use over the last couple of years.

I have one of their running vests and waterproof tops, and can't fault their kit given the price.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...