Wild camping tents - 3 man

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Danbow73 05 Jul 2023

As title says I'm in the market for a 3 man tent for wild camping with me my fiance and very large border collie. I quite like the look of the ones with large porches

So far I've looked at

Nordisk oppaland 3

Hilleberg anjan 3 gt

Fjallraven abisko 3 shape.

Has anyone got any experience of the above or any other recommendations?

Nordisk is superlite but I'm concerned about durability, im not sure I like the lack of ventilation options+ the door placement on the hilleberg. The fjallraven looks like it could be the one but I know nothing about their tents.

In reply to Danbow73:

the exped outerspace has a massive front porch for chairs, etc. https://www.expeduk.com/products/outer-space-iii

misterb 07 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Big Agnes copper spur 3 long

Massive space internally and great head height yet rather light and small pack size

The 2 man version will be my next tent I think

Post edited at 07:57
 The New NickB 07 Jul 2023
In reply to misterb:

I really like my Big Agnes tent (Tiger Wall UL2), but the OP seems to be concerned about durability. These tents a very light and there are trade offs around durability. 

misterb 07 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Fair comment on the durability front they are very light

I wouldn't pick any of the other tents outlined simply because they only have 1 porch as they are tunnels, 2 porches is a must for me

The hilleberg helags might be a win, that has 2 porches so a little bit more versatile as a tunnel design but still light

Slarti B 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

I have had the Nordisk Oppland 3 SI for about 10 years and used it pretty regularly for weekend trips and occasional longer stay.  Porch is great for 2 people with gear 

Still very happy with it and no worries about durability.  Don't know about the other tents but would definitely recomend it. 

Guy 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Lightwave T30 XT has a huge awning which I slept in when the rest of the family kicked me out of the main compartment.  It has been great so far.

https://www.lightwave.uk.com/product/shop/tent/t30-trail-xt

David Cowley 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

I've got the oppland lw 3. Unbelievable weight for such a large tent. The space is fantastic especiallyin the porch. It's that lightweight though it won't take much to rip it or put a whole in. The oppland 3 SI will be more robust, better fromy door access but a bit heavier 

bouldery bits 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Guy:

> Lightwave T30 XT has a huge awning which I slept in when the rest of the family kicked me out of the main compartment.  

What did you do?!?!???? 

In reply to Danbow73:

In answer to your OP, check out Lightwave tents - they do 3 man tunnel and geodesic tents with extended porches. 

I have a smaller one man Lightwave T10 Trek tunnel tent for 3 years now, and it has been an excellent wild camping tent, tough, reliable and easy to pitch.

Post edited at 09:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...