Walking Boot Fitting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Data-Doug 11 Jun 2023

Been suffering the past couple of years with rubbing heels in my summer walking boots. Have a set of La Sportiva B2s which are great, but cant wear them all year round.

It started in my Scarpa R-Evo GTX, which I  persevered with for a while. Finally after spending hours in Tiso and Cotswold trying on boots, I bought a pair of Hanwag Banks GTX. Been out twice in addition to breaking them in, once on Ben Lawers, then again today in Wales. Ben Lawers was ok, bit of a hotspot on my heel but nothing horrendous. But today they absolutely shredded my feet, both heels blistered within a few miles of starting. 

Short of trying on further boots, is there anything I can try? 

CantClimbTom 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Data-Doug:

Socks... that's something to try

Also bodyweight.  Have you put on weight in the last couple of years? That affects your feet 

Jordan-L 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Data-Doug:

The heat and humidity over the last few days might have caused issue. Probably a bit hot to be wearing boots of any kind.

Like Tom suggested try a good pair of socks, or a new pair if the ones you had on are worn in the heels.

There's also a couple lacing methods you could try that lock the heel in place e.g  youtube.com/watch?v=AbUAMPQDjyk& or  youtube.com/watch?v=cfHvThw2oE4&

I've just accepted that no boots fit my feet so I get the pair that rub the least and just pre-emptively apply compeed or zinc oxide tape to my heels before I've even started walking. Most of the time I just wear my la sportiva tx4 shoes, unless it's winter or I know it will be excessively wet and/or boggy.

abcdef 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Data-Doug:

Same issue when I got Scarpa SL Activ's a few years back - heel rub, that any combination of lacing/socks etc couldn't resolve. I then tried these and thy have eliminated the issue:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8144425

They need to be tight fitting, but worn under socks they create a slippery layer that protects the heel. Not sure if my boots are now worn-in so I could dispense with them, but its onl 2 seconds to put them on so I have continued.

CameronDuff14 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Data-Doug:

It may be worth trying a few different combinations of footbeds, insoles and potentially volume reducers.

An insole like the superfeet ones have a much larger heel cup than the standard footbeds most boots come with, which can really help hold your heel in place.

Don't be scared to try asymmetrical set ups too! Chances are your feet are slightly different shapes and sizes. I also have a pair of R-Evos and have a volume reducer under the insole in one boot and wear mismatched socks, one thin one thick 

Harry Jarvis 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Jordan-L:

> I've just accepted that no boots fit my feet so I get the pair that rub the least and just pre-emptively apply compeed or zinc oxide tape to my heels before I've even started walking. 

This was going to be my suggestion, although I usually use compeed on the part of the heel most prone to blistering and padded elastoplast more extensively up and down the heel. 

Jenny C 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Data-Doug:

Husband had a pair of otherwise comfortable boots that rubbed his heels to shreds. He tried various lacing techniques and different socks and insoles, which helped to ease the issue but didn't completely cure it. 

​​​​​​Compeed just rubbed off, but a couple of layers of Stappal (climbing tape) as a preventative measure totally fixed the problem and when on holiday only needed reaplying every few days.

wercat 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Data-Doug:

Always had Scarpa boots on their old lasts but they brought out new shaped boots in the 90s and whenever I tried these I rubbed my heels to pieces.  Some very expensive  results for me whenever I went back to them so I abandoned Scarpa altogether (I know there are many whose feet fit their boots but mine not - always heel problems.)

Aku for me now, no heel problems in 15 or more years of use on all terrain but not winter (La Sportiva then)

Post edited at 13:09
 montyjohn 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Data-Doug:

I used to aways get blisters in hiking boots. I mainly fixed it by wearing two pairs of socks.

First layer some sort of high wick polyester. I find these Injinji toe socks are great: https://xmiles.co.uk/collections/injinji/products/liner-crew?

Especially since I would also blister between the toes.

Second layer I use a merino wool sock. Thick in winter.

I find this keeps my feet really dry, whilst moving some of the rubbing between the layers and protecting my feet.

This was my solution for a while before I just started using trail running shoes instead (I use Altra Timp 4). I can wear any socks with them, it doesn't matter, I don't blister in them. They are lighter and very comfortable. You just need to be careful with foot placement to make sure you don't roll an ankle and avoid heavy bags, and water crossings/bogs.

boriselbrus 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Data-Doug:

I don't generally have problems, but I always carry these just in case.  They have a thin layer of gel around the heel and stop any rubbing. 

https://www.tiso.com/fwaci1ti0026/blis-sox-blister-sock-unisex/00174287/?ut...

timparkin 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Jordan-L:

> The heat and humidity over the last few days might have caused issue. Probably a bit hot to be wearing boots of any kind.

I was wearing TX Guide's on Ben Nevis the other day and managed to get a blister under my big toe which is definitely due to the heat and humidity. It's a first for me as I've done a lot of incident free hill days in the shoes already but nothing in the heat like recently.

druridge 14 Jun 2023
In reply to timparkin:

I have a friend who actually managed to get trench foot (a first for the Doctor!); the result of continuing to wear boots / thick socks in hot weather . Nasty....

I'm guessing all the old wives tales advising the removal of footwear and socks at stops to ventilate and wash in streams, lighter footwear (eg trail shoes) instead of boots, etc. would be cheap & easy to try. The trend to line boots with Goretex or similar can't help the 'boil in the bag' issues either. 

Post edited at 14:52
 timparkin 16 Jun 2023
In reply to druridge:

> I'm guessing all the old wives tales advising the removal of footwear and socks at stops to ventilate and wash in streams, lighter footwear (eg trail shoes) instead of boots, etc. would be cheap & easy to try. The trend to line boots with Goretex or similar can't help the 'boil in the bag' issues either. 

I can't imagine what it would have been like in Goretex boots. I even had a fresh pair of socks for the descent (which was nice for about an hour)...  I should have dangled my feet in red burn (although with someone taking a poo in it this week, I might reconsider!)

wercat 17 Jun 2023
In reply to druridge:

which old wives were they?

Wrong expression as it is based on people's experience.   You make these practical things sound like superstition!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...