Toughtags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 18 May 2010
I had some of the old, 2 part tags a few years ago. Forget what they were called now but they were well known and worked well - until I lost my mobile phone! As the mobile was the contact detail displayed on my tags the tags were now defunked and I had to cut them off. Along came a new tag supplier - well, he never actually supplied anyone with thier tags and took loads of us for a ride
A new tag maker has appeared and has already been discussed on UKC:
http://www.toughtags.co.uk/
It may be seen that initially, UKC'ers were cautious of them due to being stung by the other 'tag supplier'. Well I contacted Helen at toughtags to discuss my 'indicator' screwgate carabiners: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=408396&v=1#x5841765
And although we had good communication, it was not something that toughtags could explore, quite understandably, due to the possibillity of liability to toughtags due to misuse, but thats another story!
Anyway, Helen kindly sent me some of the tag material in red and green in order for me to continue playing around with ideas and she also sent me personised toughtags for me to try! My tags are now fitted to most of my gear <need to order more now> and are going to get a good testing out over the summer. They are one piece rather than the older style two piece ones so quicker and easier to apply. They were delivered within a couple of days and was complete with a clear pictoral instruction sheet. This will be a long term test, I'll report back a few times over several months to let you know how they get on <or off!> over the summer and into winter, with winter gear being tagged too.
I'm not connected to toughtags in anyway at all but the friendly way I was treated by toughtags <Helen especially> I owe it to them to give a thumbs up for service and hopefully send a few 'not-sure' UKC'ers thier way.

One tip - I lose mobile phones at an alarming rate so this time rather than a phone number on my tags, I have my UKC user name
 dazwan 18 May 2010
In reply to blanchie14c: You are aware that if you get in touch with your Mobile provider they can get you a new sim? (not sure about PAYG but definitely with contract phones).

There was a thread about toughtags a while back on here. The discussion was enough for me to order a couple of sheets. So far I'm pleased, the service was quick and so far no issues, but then they have only been on about 2 weeks.

Another thumbs up for toughtags.
 winhill 18 May 2010
In reply to blanchie14c:

why don't you stick one of the tags on your phone too?
OP wilkie14c 19 May 2010
In reply to dazwan:
It was PAYG and the 'fee' for a replacement sim was more than a new sim so didn't bother with the hassle.
OP wilkie14c 19 May 2010
In reply to winhill:
Nice!
When we find mobies at work, we simply go through the contacts looking for 'Home' or 'Mum' etc and ring it. It they are locked up, we wait for it to ring, at least until the battery dies.
 timjones 19 May 2010
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to dazwan)
> It was PAYG and the 'fee' for a replacement sim was more than a new sim so didn't bother with the hassle.

Change networks and migrate the number. It's free.
 thin bob 19 May 2010
In reply to timjones: clever! Nice thinking Tim!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...