Tent Pegs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 30 Jun 2023

After three trips to the Portland area, virtually all my shiny anodised aluminium pegs are trashed and bent.
The tent  is a four man behemoth, so I don't see the point in lightweight pegs.
Please recommend me some very strong unbendable pegs that don't contain plastic.

Ta.
Fred

Dave the Rave 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Fredt:

I’ve recently bought some Sea to Summit Ground Control pegs. They have been very sturdy so far. Shop around there are some good deals.

NaCl 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Timberscrews with a hex head. Strong as nails (or screws in fact), hard to pull out, cheap and you can use a drill or impact to put them in.  Ideal for a tight lazy bugger like me if car camping or similar

Cheese Monkey 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Fredt:

I bought a box of highly rated ones on ebay, more like soil nails, extremely strong, about 6mm. Do have plastic hooks though, which arent quite strong enough if you mindlessly bludgeon them through rock like I did to one the first time. A few spare hooks are provided.

Cheese Monkey 30 Jun 2023
In reply to NaCl:

I hope we end up on the same site some point, watching you literally screw your tent to the ground with an impact driver would be fantastic - in a good way - its a good idea

The Norris 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Fredt:

They do contain plastic, but they've been pretty robust for me and my mallet so far...

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15896757/blue-diamond-hard-ground-tent-pegs-15...

In reply to Fredt:

See Screwfix Direct for timberscrews..... 6mm x 150 or 200mm would do. Not cheap, but you get 50 in a pack

In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

> See Screwfix Direct for timberscrews..... 6mm x 150 or 200mm would do. Not cheap, but you get 50 in a pack

Remember to invest in a *very* robust peg bag if you go this route. Be even more expensive if you pack them in with the tent in a flimsy nylon pouch.

PaulJepson 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Fredt:

I think the ones I have are (or at least look identical) these: https://www.campingworld.co.uk/Mobile/en/gb/Outwell-Tarzan-Rock-Peg/m-m-189...

They are not light.

I am yet to bend one.

Kevster 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Fredt:

I do the impact driver with hex head for car camping. It works a treat and I feel superior to anyone with a hammer. Also helps remove them after too. 

You can buy tent pegs that have this facility, or some solid screws with wide threads would do too. I could see a need for penny washers for some applications to give a good lip to purchase on. Tent dependant. 

We have a 6 birth palace for family camping. Went for a windy week away and ours was one of the few still upright. Pegs didn't pull. 

jon 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Forget tent pegs - go to a hardware shop and buy some long nails, like 9" or 10" or whatever's available. I found that even hard baked Yosemite ground yields to them. Failing that, you must have some old hard steel pitons, or better still, warthogs...

jimtitt 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Kevster:

I also often camp on ballasted car park areas and use a hammer drill and 30cm wood screws, just the job.

afx22 02 Jul 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Look up ‘bivvy pegs’.  They’re used for fishing shelters.  Most are steel but you can also get alloy ones but they’re all way sturdier than the majority of tent pegs.

Toerag 04 Jul 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Round wire pegs are rubbish. T or X cross-section ones are far less bendable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...