Teclite or Vapour Rise or something else?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Osiris 07 Feb 2021

I'm looking for a fleece lined trouser that I can wear under hardshell trousers. I like my buffalo mountain shirt, but would like to continue wearing my hardshell trousers and I reckon the buffalo salopettes will be too warm under them, so thinking of getting the teclite trousers or tab vapour rise pants. Anyone have both to compare? Are there any other alternatives out there? How similar is VR to buffalo teclite?

I tend to get cold legs, even wearing up to four layers. Getting closer to my ideal with brynje/polyester+Spandex, softshell and hardshell combo, but I wonder if a pile/pertex under hardshell might be better and simpler as moisture inevitably presses through, wetting out the softshell and leaving damp baselayers.

ste_d 07 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

Sorry I don't have either but just to note that Rab changed the vr range last summer so the lining of most but not all, maybe some older stuff around, product on the market may not be of the classic driclime type you are thinking of...

RobertKett 07 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

I've used the Teclite trousers in Scotland in winter (with 'shorts' style underwear) and I've found them to be very good (and the Pertex outer is robust). However, you say you get cold legs. You might be OK with a decent pair of hardshell overtrousers over the Teclites, but only you can decide that as only you know how you feel. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but good luck with your quest.

Run_Ross_Run 07 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

Spotted the Mount Equip Kinesis pants the other week and they ticked a few boxes so maybe they'd suite what you're looking for too. 

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/new-in-c171/kinesis-pant-p14067

angry pirate 07 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

In the timed honoured UKC tradition of not actually answering your question, have you tried layering your legs like you'd do your top half?

I'm trialing (or would be if I was allowed out) some ME compressor pants as a layer over my hardshell trousers when it gets really cold as I do with a belay jacket.

I usually wear powerstretch leggings under softshell or hardshell in winter and am usually warm enough.

The compressor pants are very warm, fit over my hardshell trousers easily enough but as a bonus fit under so I can use them as layers too.

LucaC 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

I've used vaporise guide pants for years and swear by them for Scottish winter. I wear them just as they are for the walk in and then layer my goretex on top for climbing. 

OP Osiris 08 Feb 2021
In reply to angry pirate:

Aye, I've tried different combinations of brynje, merino, polyester, softshell. Looking for more warmth when wet/damp as I've given up trying to be completely dry.

OP Osiris 08 Feb 2021
In reply to LucaC:

Ok, have you tried the new ones or are you still using older clothes from Rab?

OP Osiris 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Hmmm.

TobyA 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

Back in the 90s I was a proper Buffalo boy for Scottish winter, I had the HA salopettes, Big Face shirt + hood and the Belay Jacket + second hood. That used to do me for most stuff although when I got a lightish down jacket (a '95 TNF Nuptse which I keep reading are super fashionable currently and sell for loads second hand! I'm still quite found of my 25 year old one though so won't sell it!) I'd sometimes take that as well particularly for really cold days - the Ben in February for example. 

I used to wear Helly Hansen lifa (quite light) under the salopettes but never needed to put something over them. I imagine if you are going to pull goretex over them, they will be really warm. They might work well though if you get cold legs!

matt3210 09 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

I found Buffalo pants to be very warm always having to undo the zips and let cold air in, didn’t really get on with them. I’m currently using some Paramo pants and I find them very good. Hope this helps.

In reply to Osiris:

I'm reviewing Mountain Equipment's Kinesis range at the moment, including the Pants (trousers). I've worn little else for winter hill days over the last few weeks. I'd recommend trying them on if you can as they are quite baggy, but other than that I think they're really good either on their own, layered over a base, or under waterproofs. We're aiming to have the review published in the next week or two, more detail then.

OP Osiris 10 Feb 2021
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Ok, I guess I'll hold off to see what you say. Thanks.

OP Osiris 10 Feb 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Sounds cosy. I'm yet to see someone rock a full suit. Maybe I'll bring it back into fashion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...