Suggestions for rope bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hester G 16 Apr 2023

Hi, 

I'm looking to buy a rope mat to put down under my rope when I'm belaying outdoors. Ideally I'm looking for a mat that will fold up and go into my rucksack with my other gear (rather than the mat being the bag with shoulder straps). That way it will be earlier to carry with everything else on long walk ins. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

AlanLittle 16 Apr 2023
In reply to Hester G:

Edelrid Liner is nicely compact, and a convenient sausage shape for strapping under rucksack lids in case you don't have room inside

Mark Kemball 16 Apr 2023
In reply to Hester G:

IKEA blue bag. 

In reply to Hester G:

A piece of waterproof nylon from one of the outdoor fabric suppliers.

Fraser 16 Apr 2023
In reply to Hester G:

Google 'rope tarp', there are several on the market.  I have one i bought from Bananafingers a few years ago but they no longer stock it. There are definite benefits to using a tarp rather than rope bag. I've never agreed with the IKEA bag suggestion, they always look a faff getting the rope fed back into the bag, and you don't get the benefits of having a spreadable tarp. It's a lose-lose situation to my mind!

CameronDuff14 16 Apr 2023
In reply to Fraser:

But they are 'obtainable' for free!

ianstevens 16 Apr 2023
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> IKEA blue bag. 

The connoisseurs option is the yellow bag, a real show of class and a saving of fifty pence. 

TobyA 16 Apr 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

> The connoisseurs option is the yellow bag, a real show of class and a saving of fifty pence. 

I've got three. The first one was a completely accidental that it somehow ended up buried in a trolley of flat packs. Can't remember how I came by the other two, perhaps slightly less accidentally.

TayTay 16 Apr 2023
In reply to Hester G:

https://bananafingers.co.uk/petzl-tarp

I got this as just wanted the mat without the bag attached. Nice size and not bulky.

Dave Baker SP5 17 Apr 2023
In reply to TayTay:

The Petzl tarp is GREAT.  I have one for outdoors.

The other option, which I use for the gym, is the Trango Cord Trapper -- https://trango.com/products/cord-trapper-rope-tarp -- it calls itself "a rope bag, minus the bag" and only has a strap to hold the rope inside while you're carrying it.

Fraser 17 Apr 2023
In reply to Dave Baker SP5:

Ah yes, that's the one I have but Bananafingers no longer seems to stock them.

galpinos 17 Apr 2023
In reply to Hester G:

Black Diamond Burrito bag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...