Sportiva sole wear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 19 Jan 2019

Hello all,

I'm reviewing a pair of the new Trango Tower Extremes. They are incredibly similar to my 12 year old Trango Extreme GTXs but weigh very slightly less - I think due in part to a different sole. I have read lots of reports of modern Sportiva mountain boots soles wearing very quickly. I was quite surprised by how quickly people were claiming that they needed a resoling - 8 days in one case if I remember! But after the first day of use on the Trango Tower Extremes there is very visible wear around the toe:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GBirkwdAhayJyWDp7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DTyeZhZzdz8yVhhz7

It definitely looks more than just soft "flashing" or other bits of excess rubber coming off. Obviously I'll be using them more (conditions allowing) and will see what happens, but it would be interesting to hear other people's experiences.

And if anyone has a new pair of Sportivas and think the sole is wearing slowly or no more or less than any other pair of boots - that's interesting as well. Obviously if you ask for just negative experiences you end up hearing only negative experiences!

Alex Riley 19 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

If I had a pair of near enough £300 boots and they looked like that after day one, I would be sending them back.

OP TobyA 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Alex Riley:

I'm waiting to see if that's just superficial - the sharp corner of a new sole rubbing away - or if they will keep wearing away there.

martin09 19 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I have had 5 or 6 pairs of Trango Cubes (which I love ) except for the fact that they wear out with incredible rapidity both at the toe but also on the outside of each boot just where the rubber stops and the 'fabric' starts.  The first time it happened with basically only one admittedly full on week in the Alps the shop sent them to the La Sportiva agent who simply responded that they had been used and there were no actual defects. This was in France so I did not feel able to try to complain that they were 'not fit for the purpose'.  By contrast Evo Cube - and Scarpa lightweight boots do not seem to have the same rate of wear. I cannot tell if it is the' form'  of the sole or if the rubber is truly softer. 

I am assuming that the sole /rubber of the Extreme is the same as the Cubes.

Apologies that I cannot give you a positive post save for the fact the 'feel ' is excellent and they are 100% waterproof and do not hold water and hence freeze up - 

I guess the fact that I keep buying them must say something (maybe just that a fool is easily parted.....)

Jimbob11 19 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Good timing on posting this. I’m heading to my local to try the 46 tomorrow. Which I know will probably fit well. May hold off! 

When are are you looking at publishing the review? I’m intrigued about their warmth. But now their durability as well!

Otherwise ill need need some recommendations on B3 boots that suit skinny size 11 feet!

James.  

In reply to Jimbob11:

> Otherwise ill need need some recommendations on B3 boots that suit skinny size 11 feet!

They these. Not the warmest boots in the world, but still going strong after 50+ days.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/kayland_apex_plus_g...

Rick Graham 20 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Looking at the photo there is a strange hard skin around the circumference of the sole. Its as if the edge is tough and the inner material soft. I have only seen this on cheap workboot soles. Take em back to the shop.

HeMa 20 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

My Ice Cubes look like that, but I’ve done 2 Finnish winters with ’em. So yeah, they feel quite soft but afaik it hasn’t gotten worse. The difference is that here it’s mostly snow from the car to the crag... if a lot of the approach would be on rock, gravel etc. I’d imagine the wear would be much much worse.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...