Short women's 40-45l climbing packs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all 

One for the shorter women (there must be some of you here!).

Looking for experienced recommendations for a 40-45l pack for mountaineering that specifically works for shorter women (5'3" or below). 

I need to get a pack for an alpine mountaineering course but most shops (including ones like Outside) have very little available for women, and even those can be too big (conversely I think Decathlon's idea of 'small' is 5'7", Go Outdoors don't seem to offer different sizes, and Joe Brown don't have *any* women's packs to that spec on their website), so I'm only going to get so far from trying on in person.

Conscious that when I've tried on c.30l climbing packs the back lengths are almost always too long for me at 5'3" - the top tends to whack the back of my helmet once my harness is on, or the straps hover an inch above my shoulders even when fully shortened - and now I need a pack with even greater capacity.

I've tried asking my training provider for advice but they didn't seem to grasp the female specific issue.

So - personal recommendations from shorter women very much appreciated! 

Thanks.  

cathsullivan 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

I'm just under 5'2" and I have a crux ak47 (size 1) which I can wear with a helmet without them bashing into each other. Mind you, it is very old so unsure whether the newer ones are exactly the same design.

Post edited at 18:31
 Sealwife 14 Jun 2023

I use a Montane Yarara which I think is slightly smaller than what you are after, maybe about 35l.

Im 5ft 0 and it fits me pretty well.  I’ve a friend who is a smidge taller and she also has one (have to be careful not to get them mixed up)

Totally get what you mean about being whacked in the back of the head by taller/longer packs.

Elizabeth_S 14 Jun 2023

Helloo,

I have the patagonia ascentionist 40L pack in a S/M size. 

I'm a wee bit taller than you around 5'4 but it's been a phenomenonal pack for me so far. I've winter climbed in it a lot, Cuillin Ridge, Alps etc....and use it every time I go to the crag so it's very durable too!

Only snag is patagonia don't make that exact model anymore but thought I'd mention it as you may well be able to get hold of one second hand. 

If you're anywhere near Keswick, Sheffield or Cambridge (an odd combo I know!) you'd be welcome to try mine on!

Elizabeth 

Post edited at 20:11
 Guy Hurst 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Elizabeth_S:

A friend I sometimes go walking with is about your height andf had similar problems getting a pack which fitted properly. She got one made for her a few years ago by Aiguille Alpine, based in the Lakes, and has been more than happy with it. They're expensive, but no more so than a lot of climbing packs. They're nice and simple in design and really built to last

EwanR 14 Jun 2023

I'm a wee bit taller than you but not by much...

I have a Crux AK47 in size 1 which is great. for something a bit smaller the Exped packs in the short back length are good - I have the mountain pro (wmns) 30 and 40 as well as the Serac 35 in small. They all have a sufficiently short back and don't get in the way of climbing. 

girlymonkey 14 Jun 2023

I find I don't actually want a pack to sit on my shoulders, my hips do the weight bearing. However, I get the problem with a tall pack hitting head or helmet. I look for wide and deep packs. I really like my old Podsacs Thin Ice, but I don't think they are made any more. You can sometimes find them second hand though. I think mine is a size 2 in back length, and sits higher than my shoulders, so you might like it in a size 1?

In reply to girlymonkey:

Thanks, I do tbh - I don't want the shoulder straps to be up above my shoulders in deqs space and find that when I've got a harness on, I hoik the pack up a bit higher so the hip belt is actually more around my waist - otherwise it would be in the way of gear loops - and so it's probably not taking weight as well (and my back is further shortened, so actually need a shorter back length once in harness than when walking, come to think about it). 

I read somewhere that women's harnesses fit higher on the body than men's so I guess this may exacerbate the problem of back length.

Anyway these are loads of recommendations - thanks all! 

Post edited at 23:58
In reply to EwanR:

Out of interest how tall are you? 

EwanR 15 Jun 2023

Somewhere around 5'5" on a good day...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...