Scarpa resole rather than new rock shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DizzyVizion 30 Jun 2023

After buying yet another pair of climbing shoes, the thought occured to me that maybe I should have checked if I could resole my current Scarpa Thunders (XS edge compound) with another compound- like the XS grip 2, or one of Scarpa's own compounds.

Has anyone tried this who can advise on the pros & cons? And can you get your climbing shoes resoled with another manufacturers compound- such as resoling Scarpas with 5.10's stealth rubber?

I've just spent over £100 again on new shoes size 9 (after buying and now selling the same model size 8, because they were too tight and the pain was unbearable).

chris_r 30 Jun 2023
In reply to DizzyVizion:

You can absolutely get your boots resoled with a different companies rubber, or a different compound from your existing brand.

The two firms I know of are:

Llanberis Resoles www.llanberisresoles.com

Cheshire Resoles www.cheshireshoe.co.uk

Chris

In reply to DizzyVizion:

As Chris r said. You can specify whatever you wish; problem might be it restricts who will do the resole as some only stock certain ranges of soles.

I’ve specified a different compound/manufacturer in the past. Just make sure you research the compound that you are thinking to ensure it will be suitable for your intended use.

In reply to DizzyVizion:

I have had my Scarpa Instinct lace-ups resoled by Scarpa. Just got them back, they look great but not tested in anger yet. I didn't ask about rubber and just took what they offered. It took about 6 weeks and cost £70 including postage which looks about the same as the UK options.

Llanberis resoles would be my choice for any other make or for Scarpa if the Scarpa job is not as good as it looks. My experience is that the build quality of Scarpa and La Sportiva shoes is good enough that they will take at least 3 resoles as long as you send them early enough and the result is as good as new but with no wearing in to do

Steve

wbo2 30 Jun 2023
In reply to DizzyVizion: I'd advise calling or talking to a resoler first as the thunder has a full length sole, but it should be redolable in whatever rubber you want.

In reply to DizzyVizion:

I was really impressed when we saw Llanberis Resoles in action:  youtube.com/watch?v=G62N0d4mJcs&

One benefit of resoling if you're using Scarpa's or La Sportiva is that they use genuine parts from each company. Torquil would be happy to advise if you wanted to discuss other rubber too, I'm sure.

OP DizzyVizion 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

That is awesome, thanks! When the time comes, I'll definitely try having my old (and new) scarpas resoled through Llanberis.

In the meantime, my brother has a pair of mythos from the 90's he would love to have resoled. I'll reach out and ask Torquil on the wisdom of resoling 30 year old shoes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...