Salomon Contragrip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 24 Jan 2024

I have a pair of Salomon Quest fabric boots with Contragrip soles. Several times over the last year they've let me down on wet rock in conditions where my heavier Scarpas, which have Vibram soles, would have been fine. The last time the happened I bruised a knee quite badly when my foot slipped.

Does anyone else find that Contragrip performs poorly on wet rock?

jon 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Yes, lethal, but that was years ago. I just don't buy them anymore.

galpinos 24 Jan 2024

Yes, but like jon it was years ago and they had a reputation so haven't touched them since.

mmmhumous 24 Jan 2024

Interesting to hear, as My old Salomon B3s has Contragrip, and it was sticky as! Gave plenty of confidence on wet rock, snow and even ice.  Based on your experience I'm assuming they have different types of Contragrip.

It certainly seems that way with Vibram... both my B2s (North Face S4K) and B3s (Scapa Phantom techs) have Vibram soles. The grip/friction on the B3s is reassuring in all conditions whilst the B2s perform like greased ferrets?! 

timjones 24 Jan 2024

I have raced a lot of km across rocky terrain in all weathers whilst wearing Speedcross shoes with contragrip rubber  with no problems.

Maybe it works better on more flexible running shoes rather than boots.

magma 24 Jan 2024

yes, read about it somewhere recently when researching for a new Salomon boot, which put me off

this one seems to back you up..

https://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39976.0

jezb1 24 Jan 2024

Way back when I had some quality Salomon approach shoes and winter boots, probably 20 years ago. The contagrip soles were great.

Then they must have changed the rubber because the newer ones were awful. 

jon 24 Jan 2024
In reply to timjones:

> Maybe it works better on more flexible running shoes rather than boots.

Mine were approach shoes. Just awful. https://constant-practice.com/products/1990s-salomon-exentric-l-tan-red-43-...

OP Andy Johnson 24 Jan 2024
In reply to jezb1:

Interesting, and kind of backed-up by what jon and galpinos said up-thread. I've always rated Salomon and my current pair aren't my first, but I'm starting to suspect that they're maybe not as good as they were in respect of grip. Okish in dry weather but otherwise nope. I guess Mr Salomon won't be getting any more money from me.

OP Andy Johnson 24 Jan 2024
In reply to magma:

Thanks. One of the responses mentions getting a pair of Quest boots re-soled by LSR. Not an option I'd considered but one I'll look into.

I think they're so called because you inevitably spend a lot of time muttering "Grip, ya cont' in a panicked voice.

I don't buy them anymore either.

magma 24 Jan 2024

was looking at quest 4d vs quest element. the element has the 'mud 'contragrip sole rather than the 'all terrain' sole which should have better grip in wet if less durable..

youtube.com/watch?v=xkPM-dxHxH0&

https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/stories-guides/trail-running/advice-what-cont...

Post edited at 16:31
 timjones 24 Jan 2024
In reply to jon:

I've never tried Salomon approach shoes but I do like my running shoes to have quite a bit more flex in the soles than any pair of approach shoes that I have ever owned.

I wore approach shoes for my first few fell races and it wasn't much fun.

Martin Bennett 24 Jan 2024

My very first Salomons were a mid ankle job bought from TK Maxx for £20 over 10 years ago. They've been worn to bits and the uppers are shot but the soles, of course worn down, are still going so a great buy for longevity but I quickly realised they're best in deserts or the high street - very slippery.

My latest are a pair of "Trailster" shoes which are excellent for UK approaches - grass, rock, gravel etc. but the soles are wearing out fast. 

Hence your question intrigued me and I had a quick look - see link below - and found there are currently 6 different soles that bear the trademark "Contagrip" (note no 'r') so heaven knows how many variants there've been over the years to cause us confusion over their uses.

https://www.salomon.com/en-nl/stories-guides/trail-running/advice-what-cont...

> I have a pair of Salomon Quest fabric boots with Contragrip soles

Maybe there's a clue in the name...

Though I think it's probably Contagrip...

In reply to Martin Bennett:

> and found there are currently 6 different soles that bear the trademark "Contagrip" 

Just like 'Vibram'; there are many formulations of the compound, and sole unit designs.

ExiledScot 24 Jan 2024

As have others, I've found speed cross great, but ankle boots sketchy, so i think there are varying grades of it. 

SouthernSteve 24 Jan 2024

Interestingly on the running side Salomon have just released the Genesis running shoe with a more specific indication for rock. As others have said I have got on well enough with Speedcross and Ultra Glides amongst others. I have some boots (XA Pro 3D) also and they are a bit more slippy so perhaps it is about the type of shoe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...