Refilling gas cannisters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gooberman-hill 04 Nov 2022

Hi,

there was a thread on UKC a few months ago where a few people mentioned a tube which would enable you to connect a larger gas cannister to a smaller (100g) one, enabling you to refill the smaller one (cheaper and better for the environment)

I can't find the thread right now - would anyone have a link, or be able to point me in the right direction?

Thxs, Steve

Kryank 04 Nov 2022
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Hi there,

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/skills/series/skills/12_ways_to_save_ca...

it’s towards the bottom of this article 

Pedro50 04 Nov 2022

As a result of the thread I bought this gizmo of Amazon, haven't tried it in action yet but the screw threads both attach securely.

Apparently you put the full giving cylinder on top and let gravity work being careful not to overfill. 

elliptic 04 Nov 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

That's the doofer. It also helps if you chill the receiving canister first by sticking it in the fridge for a bit.

The "not overfilling" part is important because the "gas" you're transferring is liquified and there needs to be some headroom left over in the can for expansion (and so it doesn't spray liquid gas straight out of your stove to flare up). You can check on kitchen scales if you keep a note of what it originally weighed to start with.

LastBoyScout 04 Nov 2022
In reply to elliptic:

> That's the doofer. It also helps if you chill the receiving canister first by sticking it in the fridge for a bit.

I was thinking that if you warm up the receiving canister with the valve open and then put the donor one on top, it will suck the liquid in as it cools

Kai 05 Nov 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Put the receiving canister in the refrigerator and cool it off.

Put the donor canister in the sun and warm it up.  

Gravity alone doesn't work well.  

obanish 05 Nov 2022

I've been refilling mine with a slightly different widget which is simply a press fit with the cheap butane canisters. 

I love the fact I can set off every trip with a full cylinder.

The slight downside is that I'm not using a propane/butane mix, so it starts to get poor performance as the temperature dips.

Having said that, my small cylinder fits comfortably into a cup, so I put a bit of water in that and it's sufficient to keep it working.

StevieH 05 Nov 2022

Hi, 

I have one of these too and as other users have said gravity alone is not that great.

I have found putting the small canister in the freezer for a while and floating the donor canister in warm water works well.

Steve

crayefish 05 Nov 2022

> cheaper and better for the environment

Liquid stoves?  (E.g. MSR)  No disposable canisters, although admittedly not ideal for light attacks or gram counters.

In reply to crayefish:

I have an MSR and I love it to bits. But not everyone loves it, and Christmas is approaching 😊

Slarti B 07 Nov 2022
In reply to StevieH:

I put hot water from kettle in the curved bottom of the donor cartridge and then replace a couple of times. Seems to work.

CantClimbTom 08 Nov 2022

Been inspired by this thread and bought a little adapter gizmo, when my next 100g canister runs out -- or even better runs too low that I don't want to take it on its own, I will be trying this to top up and/or refill

Noted the above to have the receptive canister freezer cold and the donor canister warmed (or presumably the pressure will be equal and nothing will happen)

Post edited at 14:53
 Cobra_Head 08 Nov 2022
In reply to Kai:

> Put the receiving canister in the refrigerator and cool it off.

> Put the donor canister in the sun and warm it up.  

> Gravity alone doesn't work well.  

Just use a bit of fire on the top one, stand back and it'll fill the whole room.

tehmarks 08 Nov 2022
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> ...and it'll fill the whole room.

The fire?

Pedro50 08 Nov 2022

https://gearjunkie.com/camping/flipfuel-review-gas-canister-transfer

Gear junkie are now promoting a similar device, it costs $35!

CantClimbTom 09 Nov 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Exact same valve, just without the "flipfuel.co" lettering on Amazon for £19.99. Probably available cheaper again via eBay 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingmoon-Canister-Cartridge-Convertor-Function/...

JimbotheScot 09 Nov 2022

I did this for a while but found after a while the ratio of isopropane and butane were out of whack and got mad flare ups like priming a liquid fuel stove

CantClimbTom 09 Nov 2022
In reply to JimbotheScot:

Most stoves can operate on 100% butane in warm weather and 100% propane would be hotter but not flare?

I'm wondering if you over filled them and had some liquid being passed up to the stove rather than only gas - does that sound plausible?

Post edited at 10:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...